Tapcon screws into mortar??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

This is my first post here, seems a cracking forum.

I've recently discovered Tapcon screws, but having a bit of trouble using them. I want to use them to fix 1 inch baton to brick walls, but I'm drilling into the mortar first. The screw seems to get a bite, but soon losens up, fairly easily. Should I drill into the brick instead??

I really need a good strong fix, as I'll be fixing signs to the baton on the wall.

I did try drilling into the brick earlier, but was struggling as I was up ladders, and couldn't get much pressure on the drill (it's an 18v Hitachi Li-ion combi drill)

Any advice would be great. Perhaps I should just use plugs??

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
drill through the brick as it will give you a better fixing what size drill bit you using?

Thanks mate. Well, I'm using a 5mm bit with the 6mm screws, I think I'm going to invest in a good cordless SDS drill, as the hammer drill I use is a bit hard to drill into the brick when I'm up a ladder.

Sponsored Links
Have a look around for Alligator wall plugs, they are an American plug used in hospitals to hold rental TVs on to the walls more load bearing than mechanical or chemical anchors and smaller hole size needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back