idea for lining shower walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

I'm thinking about lining shower walls with hollow polycarbonate sheet:
types_of_polycarbonate_sheet_twin_wall_polycarbonate_hollow_sheet.jpg

I will build shower walls with plasterboard, then line with polycarbonate sheeting. There will be 1 corner join, sealed with silicone. Will seal join to shower base.

Would like to install strip lighting below the polycarbonate, such that the walls are illuminated themselves.

Are there any draw backs to using this material? Might condensation build up in the hollow section? I could seal the top and bottom to prevent this.

(its easy to clean, low cost, easy to install, looks modern, suits lighting effects, durable).

thanks / simon

Sponsored Links
As you have mentioned moisture entering the hollow sections is the main problem. It can be seen where this stuff is used outside and seals have failed. Water gets in and algae starts to grow and turns it green. Water getting between the plastic and the plasterboard may also be a problem as this would leave you with black mould .Have you considered access to the lighting ? It will probably be a pain as you would have to remove any sealing to the panels to remove them although that should hopefully be quite rare. Just for piece of mind I'd go for low voltage lighting too.

Hmmm - interesting idea.

Could look great with the tubes running up and down and lit from below.

But - you would deffo need to seal it really well you would certainly get condensation, or worse in the tubes I reckon.

Also, you might have to be really careful how you clean it as I would have thought that all but the gentlest of cleaners would scratch the surface really easily.

If you decide to go ahead, let us see some piccies of the finished project please.

I will seal it this way:

Top edge will be raised 10 cm above shower ceiling. Shower ceiling to plastic will be sealed blocking splashes from the most vigorous shower user.

Bottom edge, the hollow sections will be filled 20mm deep. I will use expanding foam or silicone. Not sure yet. Moisture will not be able to get in.

Strip lighting will be from the top.

Cleaning with a soft cloth yes you are right.

If water/steam has no access to the hollow sections, is condensation still an issue?

thanks / simon

Sponsored Links
Moisture will not be able to get in.

Moisture is always able to get in.

Apart from the aesthetics, I don't think this will be very durable. It will get scratched in use and if someone trips against it it will crack. You'll be pulling it out again in a few months ...

Cheers
Richard

hi everyone. appreciate the answers. but if someone could please advise on the basis of no moisture/steam getting in, would the hollow section give rise to condensation?

thanks again / simon

hi everyone. appreciate the answers. but if someone could please advise on the basis of no moisture/steam getting in, would the hollow section give rise to condensation?

thanks again / simon

22 years ago I painted a bedroom blue and yellow. I now know it was a horrible idea.

Cheers
Richard

Understand. But I'm a stubborn git ;)

Polycarbonate sheet, does not crack. It's extremely tough. It will be backed by a framing. You can jump on this stuff, and it wont crack.

Scratch wise, sure. But what are you taking in your shower that is so sharp? And I will advise soft cloth for cleaning.

Using these, there will only be 5 seals in the whole shower room, versus all the potential tile joints.

If someone can advise kindly the condensation risk (if correctly sealed)

thanks / simon

If you leave the top section open then dust, debris and moisture will get into the channels.

Trying to get 10cm above the ceiling all round may be a challenge - there may be the odd joist or two in the way!

Light transmission down the tubes is likely to be disappointing and transmission through the polycarbonate sheet will be limited unless you can polish the cut ends and get a very directional light onto them (not possible in my opinion)

Where your boards meet you will have the have two of the internal sheet walls butted together - the face of the sheet will not be sufficiently strong to allow for a silicone joint to be formed.

Condensation will form only when there is water vapour in the channels and the temperature of the board faces drops below the dew point.

If, for example, the sheets were in a warm and humid environment before the ends were sealed then you would be trapping warm, moist air inside the sheet which would then condense on the internal faces when the temperature fell.

This is why sealed glazing units are flushed through with an inert gas before sealing.

Regarding durability - thin walled polycarbonate sheets are not as tough as you would believe - it's quite easy to damage then as the wall thickness is very thin.

Just a thought - have you planned for fixing shower screens/enclosures/shower heads/riser bars/soap dishes etc. - you wont be able to fix onto the sheet face without a) perforating the internal 'tubes' and b) the heavy items will deflect as the sheet won't bear the weight.

How are you planning to fix the sheet to the wall - adhesive would be the only option but there is a chance you may see the adhesive 'blobs' through the sheet (common problem with some glass splashbacks) The sheets will not be self-supporting and if not attached to the wall they will sag or you will get some movement and the feeling of a cheap finish as the panels will 'rattle' against the wall.

I'd also check the compatibility of the sealants that you plan to use - both in terms of degrading the surface and also adhering to it - you don't want a leaky shower!

Newboy, you are right.

Sagging if not fixed in middle, and humidity of air issue during sealing are the biggest risks.

Its not worth it. I will cancel the idea. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back