Ideal Classic Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have an idea classic boiler, it's getting on a bit, at about 15 years old but it's been working great for us for the last few years.

We recently had a powerflush to help with an overheating issue, the boiler was serviced at the same time.

Since this work was completed, the overheat issue has settled down, but we now have a new problem. The boiler really struggles to light and stay lit, once it does get going it's ok. I have uploaded a video here: http://youtu.be/VBSKAJBXhP4

If anybody has any opinions on what the issue could be that would be great.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need a Registered Gas Engineer, there's nothing that can be done by a DIYer. I would also strongly suggest the boiler is turned off and is not used until it has been checked and deemed safe by a professional.

Thanks Hugh,

I definitely don't intend to try and fix it myself :)

We have had someone out (they are registered), and we're waiting on them coming back. His line when we first reported the problem after the service was: "that's normal and it's perfectly safe". It definitely isn't.

I'm more interested in someone with some knowledge being able to pass on some information so I can have a meaningful conversation when I next see the engineer.

Thanks,

Richard

We do not give DIY repair information here.

Most of the people posting here do so to save money and just pretend to have an RGI who is going to do the work when in reality its themselves who are planning to do it.

Do you question your doctor, dentist, solicitor on their diagnosis?

You need a competent engineer who you will trust.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Agile,

Sorry if you misunderstood, I really don't mean to fix it myself.

I'm just looking for an idea of what the problem may be.

I'm not overly confident in the guys we have looking at the problem so it would be good to have some information of my own.

You say that you don't intend to do it yourself.

But that's exactly what the those who want to do the repair also say.

For that reason we don't give any information on repairs which need an RGI to anyone regardless of what they say.

Nor does any heating engineer like the idea of clever clogs who think that "plumbers" are thick and uneducated and that in 10 minutes they will know more than he does. They are a right pain I can assure you!

So you will have to find a local independent whom you are willing to trust.

Tony

I would just like to know an opinion..

e.g. That could be a dodgy sprocket/cog/widget?

Is that possible?

It's very hard to find someone you can trust when you have limited reason to call on someone.

If I could get a general consensus on what the issue could be from here, then if my plumber gives similar answers then I have confidence in the answers that I'm being given, and the trust can be built.

Otherwise I am completely ignorant

The only way to reliably diagnose boiler faults is in front of the boiler.

Anything else would just be guess!

How could anyone on a forum correctly guess that rats had eaten the wiring inside a boiler for example? That has to be seen!

I never speculate on boiler faults. Sometimes evidence points to a particular problem but its only a pointer!

Tony

It does sound like its the dodgy widget, so get a properly qualified engineer to look at it.:cool: and you are not allowed to fix your own widgets :LOL:

He is on his way on Tuesday and I'll be sure to stand in front of him, nod my head and say 'uh-huh' as he slowly siphons the contents of my bank account :)

He'll try and sell me a doodad as well no doubt :)

Just so it's clear, I do respect you guys and the guys who are coming around next week, I also completely understand the need for a qualified engineer. I would just like a little knowledge of my own.

When you have found a competent boiler engineer (preferably by recommendation), and he has repaired your boiler, then he will be more than happy to explain the fault to you.

Hi Everyone
I know this is an old thread, but so is my father-in-law's boiler. He has an Ideal Classic FF250 and a British Gas home care package which covers him for parts and labour. BG recently sent a rep round to 'advise' him it is now time to replace the boiler as parts are very difficult to source now. However, I have been on the net for about 15mins this morning and can find plenty of spares available. All BG have left him with is a choice of payment plans and no price yet. Boiler is serviced regularly by BG and is working well, so does he really need to replace it? I understand parts may eventually become unavailable, but he is 84 now and we think the boiler will outlive him anyway.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

BG are very good at selling boilers. Depending on the Engineer can also affect on the quality of work you get! BG did my parents Boiler and heating upgrade a few years ago, (Dad has shares in BG so was insistent they did the work), and whilst it works, it is a very shoddy, rushed job, with a couple of things that completely ignore the fundamental rules of Plumbing, (but bodged up to save time and money!). I think Dad has seen the light now, BG have been making noises about parts availability and new boilers already, they have been told, when the time comes they will not be fitting any new boiler!

Find an independent you trust and let them look after your Father in Law and his boiler. That boiler may well outlive him, sad to say but a new one may well not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back