Ideal Classic Boiler Problems

Hi Hugh
You have confirmed what we suspected. Your words of wisdom will put my wife's mind to rest. However, I suspect she'll have a few choice words ready for Mr BG when he comes round next week. Ever had a blow torch held to the back of your neck?

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone
I know this is an old thread, but so is my father-in-law's boiler. He has an Ideal Classic FF250 and a British Gas home care package which covers him for parts and labour. BG recently sent a rep round to 'advise' him it is now time to replace the boiler as parts are very difficult to source now. However, I have been on the net for about 15mins this morning and can find plenty of spares available. All BG have left him with is a choice of payment plans and no price yet. Boiler is serviced regularly by BG and is working well, so does he really need to replace it? I understand parts may eventually become unavailable, but he is 84 now and we think the boiler will outlive him anyway.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

When anyone asked if they should change a boiler for which all aprts are not available, but running perfectly well, I always posed the "What If " question If the boiler breaks, irrepairably, during the winter, would that be a major issue for your Dad?. If a new boiler is required, you will either have a delay waiting for your preferred plumber/gasman, or you will get someone who can do it quickly. The latter scenario normally involves compromises, in cost, standard of work, and choice of upgrades. Any job has a greater chance of success if you can consider options and plan.

Another regular comment was along the lines of yours about your dad being 84. Obviously, I have no idea of his financial position, but it would always amuse, and sometimes irritate, me when I had completed a professional assesment and quotation, and they say, although they have plenty of funds, it is not worth it as I am xxx of age. I always wanted to say that if you think you are on your last legs, then you may as well have some luxury, and spend some cash before it is too late.

Having said all that, it appears that parts are readily available, so if he feels uncomfortable with the upheaval, it is probably best left.

Thanks for your advice Fireman T. My father-in-law is a tight old scrote which is why he is hesitating to buy a boiler which is working well, parts available and may well outlive him. I think we'll leave well alone and let nature take it's course (with him and the boiler).

it is now time to replace the boiler as parts are very difficult to source now. However, I have been on the net for about 15mins this morning and can find plenty of spares available.

I have a 19-20 years old Ideal Classic boiler which works perfectly. Each year the Scottish Gas guys who service it say the same "parts are getting scarce" line. However, as you say, the parts seem to only be scarce from the suppliers they use, not necessarily scarce from anywhere else. Also, according to the service guy last year (or was it 2 years ago?) - it seems to be parts which you won't ever need which are scarce (from their supplier list). I usually make them a cup of tea and have a chat, and I ask what would they do if it were theirs? The answer every time is that it's a reliable boiler with hardly any parts to fail and it'll probably be fine for years to come. Sure it'll use a pittance more gas than a modern boiler cos it's got a pilot light, but a shed-load cheaper than a new boiler.

I don't know much about boilers but if it were mine I'd bring an engineer in and take it from there.

Sponsored Links
Bg engineers are on a 30% ‘best advice’ target which means they have to get a sales lead, or sell a hive/ powerflush on 1 in 3 jobs almost or they go into a continuous improvement process ending in dismissal. They don’t have any recognition based purely on customer satisfaction but draw from that whatever you like ;)

Bg engineers are on a 30% ‘best advice’ target which means they have to get a sales lead, or sell a hive/ powerflush on 1 in 3 jobs almost or they go into a continuous improvement process ending in dismissal. They don’t have any recognition based purely on customer satisfaction but draw from that whatever you like ;)

is that an actual fact, Olski.? TBF to BG, when I did a few months with them, 3-4 years ago, they had stopped the pressure selling, and I saw no evidence of that, even with the permanent guys. Monthly meetings did discuss leads, but, oddly, the boss was only interested in the leads, a sale was of no real interest. I did generate them, but always told the punter not to sign on the day and to get another quote. IIRC, I got £15 a lead.

BG are expected to provide advice. In the past, I saw a few terrible sales, based on lies. However, if they attended a boiler and did not mention the spares unavailibility, where it applied, and the boiler died during a cold snap, they would be criticised.

To me, the biggest question is - why would you pay a monthly fee for a poke and go, and then between £50 & £100 excess? I had an old customer phone me a couple of weeks ago. Downstairs rads were cold, and there was some other issue. She wanted me to tell her if it was something simple before she paid the £50 excess :). Fortunately, I was going to Italy the next day for the Rugger.

So the guys tell me. I left last year of my own accord after 20 years as I couldn’t stomach the way it was going but speaking to one of the bluest of the blue engineers recently he hates it. Most guys who aren’t totally unscrupulous are being put under massive pressure for sales and the engineers are at each other’s throats to dump stuff on each other that won’t make a sale. I’m sure it suits the double glazing type guys there but they’ve lost so many good engineers and the rest are desperately clinging on for pension!

Monthly meetings did discuss leads, but, oddly, the boss was only interested in the leads, a sale was of no real interest. I
So you had monthly meetings,including sales chat,,but no pressure? 12 meetings a year discussing sales,,,but no pressure? Bizarre.

BG are as dodgy as any of the cowboys out there,,,but get away with it.

Hi Everyone,
I'm the OP for this thread. BG have just emailed the quote for a Worcester Bosch Ri 15kw. £3,104, but we get a discount of £550 for the HomeCare package my father-in-law has with them, so final price is £2,554. Not really a tempting offer as the Ideal Classic he has is working well and parts are readily available. I think BG are just trying to scare a frail pensioner into replacing an ageing boiler as 'parts are now scarce'. He's had it over 20 years now and has never had a problem with it. Whilst they take his £350 every year for the care package, they'll have to maintain it.

It’s not a bad price, think they are learning customers are not gullible anymore at least.

So you had monthly meetings,including sales chat,,but no pressure? 12 meetings a year discussing sales,,,but no pressure? Bizarre.

Why would I lie? It was a dissapointing experience for reasons I have mentioned before, so have no axe to gring on behalf of BG. But I saw no evidence of that type of pressure. It did not stop the manager being a dick, though. His main focus seemed to be on being the best manager at reducing the cost per service visit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back