Ideal Classic FF250 issues

As I mentioned above, some time ago, I had this boiler at that time ... and still have it. I haven't taken the plunge and replaced it despite it dating back to 1996.

I might be repeating myself but mine kettled in the early days of my tenure (I moved in to this place16 years ago) and in those 16 years I've had to replace a few things (fan, gas valve, air pressure switch, and have had a couple new three way valves in the cylinder cupboard)..... but the thing that stopped it kettling was the repeated draining of the water in the radiator cicuit and refilling with proprietary cleaning treatments. Did that several times and have since kept the water generously topped up with stuff to keep the system in good order and there hasn't been a hint of kettling for years. For the first few years I used Sentinel cleaner and inhibitor products but for the past nine years I've used Calmag/Calchem three in one treatment from Toolstation. it's less than a tenner per litre and I've used five litres in nine years (and have another litre waiting to go in at some point this year).
The previous owner did nothing to the system and as a result it was gunged up with black stuff in the rads and with a blocked pipe upstairs which caused the a phenomenom called "pumping over" wherin hot water is pumped into the expansion tank in the loft (and you see hot water coming from the overflow). I had the blockage sorted (by removing a section of blocked copper pipe) and a minor re-routing of pipe to prevent it re-occurring - plus, of course, a thorough cleaning of the system (all the rads removed and flushed through.

Another long explanation which you may or may not find useful .....

Sponsored Links
Get a better engineer. You either have a intermittent sticking pump. or you have a blockage in the cold feed at the neutral point on your system or a blockage elsewhere.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ps the neutral point is where the cold feed from F&E tank joins into system. Usually on a 22-15 tee at the cylinder return. Run a magnet over the copper pipe. If it sticks or is attracted to pipe then it’s full of sludge(iron magnetite) as magnet shouldn’t stick to copper.

Sponsored Links
Ps the neutral point is where the cold feed from F&E tank joins into system. Usually on a 22-15 tee at the cylinder return. Run a magnet over the copper pipe. If it sticks or is attracted to pipe then it’s full of sludge(iron magnetite) as magnet shouldn’t stick to copper.

The point you speak of ... the neutral point ... (I'd not heard it called that before) ... is the point where, as I mentioned above in my reply to the OP, I had a piece of blocked pipe cut out and re-routed. And, again, as I mentioned above, it fixed the pumping over problem.

However, unlike my diatribe above I intend to stop there as I don't think my replies have been of any benefit to the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back