ideal Classic FF260 FF250

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read recently that certain engineers are getting upset about others entering boilers...Do you change your look at your tyres, lift the bonnet /open /view the various caps to check levels or change your brake pads? Some of us have far more common sense than the average plumber/gas engineer..The guy Chris who's blog i read was well competent in what he was doing...The problem is there are a lack of good honest gas fitters who are available and the others with no common sense and only a certificate seem to come out of the woodwork in times of need. I have a good engineer who does my properties when I cannot find the obvious. But there is no reason why an electrician, an electrical engineer or even a car mechanic cannot investigate......

Sponsored Links
Obviously you are more competent that most plumbers! But thats not very difficult. But do you have the test equipment which they have?

It is not a matter of anyone getting upset!

Its simply a matter of certain work needing by law to be done by people who are both qualified and accredited by Gas Safe.

If this was not the case then anyone could write out n MOT certificate for their cars or a CP12 for their rental property.

Then on this forum there are the Forum rules which anyone posting is deemed to have read and agreed to accept.

Tony

UK = safety paranoia.

It is a general effort to try and dump down the population
so they are so scared to even change a fuse in a plug in
case they might hurt themselves.

good grief.

I read recently that certain engineers are getting upset about others entering boilers...Do you change your look at your tyres, lift the bonnet /open /view the various caps to check levels or change your brake pads? Some of us have far more common sense than the average plumber/gas engineer..The guy Chris who's blog i read was well competent in what he was doing...The problem is there are a lack of good honest gas fitters who are available and the others with no common sense and only a certificate seem to come out of the woodwork in times of need. I have a good engineer who does my properties when I cannot find the obvious. But there is no reason why an electrician, an electrical engineer or even a car mechanic cannot investigate......

Twaddle

Sponsored Links
Yes I suppose it would put off those who want to tamper but should not...My problem is that i assume common sense is the norm...If someone thinks they can fix something they should have a plan whilst some just jump in feet first..My point is that some of us are able and should be given that respect...How difficult can it be to change a pressure switch or a fuse following advice given via links like this.? I changed my PCB recently, mains off, fuse out, switch off, tested live with a meter...went too far but so what! it cost me nothing...Thanks

I was sat here waiting for jimiT to tell us about this guy he found on CrustedTradesmen :rolleyes:

congratulations on changing the PCB take it you set up all the necessary parameters after changing it all PCBs are different some need burner pressures set from the pcb some need fan speeds some need CH input set etc etc etc and NO they dont come pre set they have to be checked thats why it has to be left to someone who knows what they are doing

Well I have to hold my hand up in this case and perhaps others. In fact it did not solve my problem..

Well I have to hold my hand up in this case and perhaps others. In fact it did not solve my problem..

You seem very proud that you succeeded to replace a PCB!

However, are you equally proud not to have been able to diagnose the problem correctly?

The skill in boiler repairs is correctly diagnosing the fault. A trained monkey can change parts! The problem is that they dont know which parts to change!

Tony

You seem very proud that you succeeded to replace a PCB!

However, are you equally proud not to have been able to diagnose the problem correctly?

The skill in boiler repairs is correctly diagnosing the fault. A trained monkey can change parts! The problem is that they dont know which parts to change!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back