Ideal Classic FF260 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday our Ideal Classic FF260 which is in our garage seems to have stopped running resulting in cold water and no heating :(
I checked it out and it seems that the pilot light does not seem it ignite as it should.
The manual suggested I switched it off, turned the dial to 6 and switched it back on but the unit still does not light.

I am thinking that it may be the fan that is faulty and is preventing the system from proceeding to the pilot ignition state.
The reason for this is I'm sure I normally heard the fan in the past and I don't hear any attempt of the unit to start the pilot.
Additionally in the morning that I first found out there was a problem I heard a whining noise which I originally thought may have been just pipes banging or an air blockage in the heating.
Thinking back it does however remind me more of a fan having problems.

I believe it is powered as when I press the on switch I do hear a noise as if it is trying to do something (not the pilot light sound).
This only makes this sound if I have the heating and/or water set to on at my control unit in the utility room.
This suggests that it is trying to turn the unit on but can't due to a fault or safety cut-out.

The overheating reset button has not come out and nothing else has been altered since the unit was working.

Does this sound like the fan has gone?
Any idea as to how much this could cost to fix?

I am a competent DIYer so could fix a fan - but will not go near gas fixtures for the obvious reasons.

Sponsored Links
The fan is inside the combustion chamber.

DIYers are not advised to open this part of the boiler and we dont give advice on these kind of repairs.

The only advice is to get a gas registered engineer.

Tony

Agile - I know that, hence my last sentence.

All I am after is a help with diagnosis and possible pricing from anyone who has had similar problems.

Usually get a slight humming from the motor when the fan is siezed this is a pretty clear indicator. Normally about 150 ish to replace.

Sponsored Links
Fans for Classics range from £50-110 depending on EXACT model.
You can check the fan supply from the pcb, which is easily accessible without going into the combustion chamber. I would expect to be able to complete the fan change and all tests in under 1 hour.

I am a competent DIYer so could fix a fan - but will not go near gas fixtures for the obvious reasons.

This is a DIYer who intends to replace the fan him self.

He does not realise ( or just wants to ignore what I have told him ) that the combustion chamber, including the fan, are all part of the combustion process and should not be accessed by a DIYer.

The fan for my Classic is about £200.

Tony

This is a DIYer who intends to replace the fan him self.

He does not realise ( or just wants to ignore what I have told him ) that the combustion chamber, including the fan, are all part of the combustion process and should not be accessed by a DIYer.

The fan for my Classic is about £200.

Tony

Sorry, I think you have mistaken my original sentence.

What I am saying is that I am a competent DIYer that COULD fix a fan but WILL NOT go near gas fixtures.

i.e I'm never going to try to fix anything to do with a gas fixture as I fully understand how the boiler is a dangerous place.

This site is ridded with enquiries about repairs and usually follow the format:-

x I have a friend who is gas registered what does he have to do?

x Or I just want to know what is involved so that I can tell the engineer.

Any engineer will be able to diagnose and repair the problem with your boiler.

As you think you are competent to repair your fan then I have no reason to expect that you will not try to!

If you intended to call an RGI then thats what you would do and not to ask us to diagnose the fault on a forum. How many more days are you going to wait when the weather is cold?

Lets hope you dont kill yourself or your fanily.

Tony

Don't forget the

"I'd like to price the parts myself so I don't get ripped off when the engineer comes"

Many people are perfectly capable of changing parts on a boiler, but they haven't got the knowledge or equipment to test it afterwards, to make sure it's safe to use and working correctly.

WOW take a chill pill :eek:

I can not speak for anyone else but I am a sensible intelligent person who just wanted some information from experienced people on my problem and a guide to the possible costs involved. I thought this forum would provide that and certainly not to be bombarded with ridiculous statements.

Your presumptions on what I would do - despite that I have clearly stated that I would NEVER go near a boiler are absurd.
I have restated that I am perfectly capable of fixing A fan - but NOT a fan on a boiler.

I will of course be getting a properly trained and qualified gas worker in to fix the problem.

These forums will not be well populated if you presume with little or no facts that everyone asking for information is a moron who wants to open up their gas boilers to fiddle around.

WOW take a chill pill :eek:

These forums will not be well populated if you presume with little or no facts that everyone asking for information is a moron who wants to open up their gas boilers to fiddle around.

I would say that most people are asking on here in the hope that they can do boiler repairs themselves.

In your case an Ideal fixed price repair would be the best option.

Most people reach for the phone when their boiler fails. Instead you reach for your mouse and expect an internet diagnosis of the problem.

The only place to diagnose a boiler fault is in front of the boiler!

Tony

Mopst people reach for the phone when their boiler fails. Instead you reach for your mouse and expect an internet diagnosis of the problem.

The only place to diagnose a boiler fault is in front of the boiler!

Tony

Although the boiler is not working, we have the immersion heater for water and spare heaters for our rooms, including a gas fireplace so it is not an emergency - especially at the weekend.

I don't expect anything from anybody on the forums - perhaps some information about other users similar problems or a rough costing from similar work carried out like the courteous and helpful ollski and 45yearsagasman.

I help loads of people with their computer repairs and problems on the net so I know that sometimes you really have to be in front of the problem to diagnose it properly but you can steer people in the right direction and give them useful information whilst being polite.

Well thats exactly what I have given you.

Advised that an RGI is needed who would charge about £84 and perhaps a new fan which costs over £200 if its the same one as my FF240 boiler.

I have a new fan in stock.

Then that an Ideal fixed price repair is probably the cheapest if it is th fan at fault.

There is a " Thanks " button where you can thank me for my helpful replies.

Tony

To be fair you did state that your fan for your Classic was about £200 but until now you did not state the cost of work.

Well thats exactly what I have given you.
What you have mostly given me until now was false assumptions and an impolite attitude.
You obviously frequent these forums a lot and probably have a lot of knowledge on the subject but your "bedside manor" is lacking.

There is a " Thanks " button where you can thank me for my helpful replies.
Stating that there is a "thanks" button in a snidey way is about as polite and helpful as me pointing out there is an "ignore" button.

Thank you for your input, I will in the future be frequenting other forums where the atmosphere is more conducive.[/i]

To be fair you did state that your fan for your Classic was about £200 but until now you did not state the cost of work.

Since I am obviously gas registered, I dont need to call anyone else to repair my own boler.

But in my local area would charge just £84.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back