Ideal Classic FF270

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Ideal Classic FF270 boiler in that the pilot light will not ignite, but fan comes on. Based on a good bit of research on this, I suspect that the fan is not turning quickly enough to allow the pilot light to fire.

This appears to be a common problem that I can provide an interim fix on by lubing the bearings on the fan. As I am unable to get a CH Engineer out for the next few days, I would like to do this myself till they can come out and get the fan replaced.

The only problem I have is that I cannot see how to get into the fan. I am able to remove the cage at the bottom and get into the PCB etc, however the main unit where the pilot light, fan etc are appears to be a sealed unit. I am sure I am just missing something though, can someone point me in the right direction as to how to gain access to the fan?

Many thanks,
Gary.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

OK, if you are unable to take the cover off, I suggest you try and phone round for a RGI :rolleyes: Safety is paramount in our field. You might hurt yourself, or do more damage than good.

There are guys who would come out, unfortunately, they may charge more than a usual hourly rate, but, you will have it repaired correctly, and you will have at least 12 month warranty with parts. Hope you get it sorted....

Its not a question of "if he is unable to get the cover off" ! Its a question that he should not even be trying !

The fan is inside the combustion chamber! This is an area which should only be opened by a trained gas engineer.

For this reason I cannot give you any detailed advice as thats against the forum rules and common sense. You need a competent engineer.

Tony

Ok, to ask a direct question.

Is it a sealed unit, whereby I would need to break the seal and then reseal it afterwards?

This is a new house for me and frustratingly it appears that British Gas were out to the property in March under the previous owners for the same thing. British Gas decided that lubing the fan was the best option as opposed to actuallly replacing it!!

Sponsored Links
That's an engineer booked for Sunday, earliest they had available :(

It is going to be a really cold few days till then!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back