ideal classic lx ff - no pressure, rads empty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving a radiator and have drained the system - ideal classic lx ff, no cylinder just a expansion tank in the loft. When I powered up the boiler it just fires up for a couple of minutes and the shuts down (pilot light goes out). Two of the radiators have no water in them and there is no pressure (no hissing or water when I try to bleed them). There are no pressure indicators on the boiler and as far as I can see no loops or valves. Just a stop cock under the sink (that is on) and a gate valve to the expansion valve in the loft (that is also on) - there is a little water in the bottom of the tank.
Can someone please advise me on what steps I have to do to re-pressurize the system and to get water flowing through the rads again. Thanks in anticipation for your help. Kes

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the float operated valve to the F&E tank has jammed.

Does the water in the FE tank cover the outlet hole? If not then as swb suggests. To help you fill the rads in the meantime, fill the FE with a bucket!! If you overfill, don't worry - it'll overflow and find it's own level.

I cannot believe the rapid response! just fantastic !! Thank you so much swb (Mike) and Swiddlers. The outlet hole is only partially covered, so I will fill with a bucket as per your suggestion and replace the float operated valve if this does the trick. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks once again Mike and Swidders, your fault diagnosis was spot on. I partially filled up the HE Tank today and the pressure returned to the system. Boiler working fine now. I shall be talking for many months to come about what a great response I have had from you two guys. Just Brilliant !.

No probs - that's what we're here for.

You anywhere claybrook magna? Brother lives there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back