Ideal Classic LXFF280 boiler stopped working..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me before I freeze to death?! THis afternoon I bled a couple of radiators, then a few hours later the central heating stopped working. Checked the boiler (Ideal Classic fanned flue gas fired LXFF 280, 8 yrs old) - was out. When I re-lit it, it stayed on for a few seconds then went off again. Now it doesn't light at all. Can anyone advise? I'm not very good at appliances, so any really basic suggestions really appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean re lit it? i didn't think it had a permanent pilot light or are you talking about the reset?

is it a sealed system (i.e pressurised)? has the tank in loft run dry? try bleeding an upstairs radiator to see if there's any water in the system.

Is it on a pressurised system or open vent?

If pressurised did you re-pressurise after bleeding the radiators, to just over 1 Bar?

Thanks for the replies. In answer:

- there is a permanent (usually) pilot light
- I don't know whether it is pressurised or open vent
- I didn't re-pressurise after bleeding. How does one do that?

Sponsored Links
pressurised there will be a filling point either next to the boiler or in the airing cupboard with a pressure gauge open the valves on the filling loop. silver flexible pipe n put it upto 1 -1.5 bar. if its open vented then u will have a tank ( smallest one if there two ) normally found in the attic with a float valve inside sometimes these stick n dont re fill your system see if u can move it if not replace. u dont have a permanant pilot but electirc ignition if im not mistaken. first thing is to check that pressure is ok in heating system thats if pressurised.

:D :D :D
Re-pressurised as you said back to 1 bar (pressure was reading 0) and heating/hot water now working!!! Thanks SO much for your help - kids and I are now defrosting! THanks to all who posted advice - really really grateful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back