Ideal Classic RS 50 problem

Thanks guys,

I don't think the pump has an airlock, I just think it's jamming intermittently and when it does the circulation stops and the boiler cuts out when it overheats. Even if it had an airlock it should still feel/sound like the motor is spinning and it doesn't.

For the sake of 60 quid and a bit of pipe-strangling I think I'll pick up a new pump tomorrow - from what I've read over the last couple of days, Myson SD53 pumps are not exactly the best in the world, and this one appears to have been in service for a good many years as it is.

Hopefully a new pump will solve the problem. It's 11 degrees in here at the moment! :eek:

Cheers,

Laurie

Sponsored Links
Techy, I think you are getting too 'techy' on this one and looking too deep.

I feel a simple pump change will cure his problems ;)

OP, what pump valves have you got isolating it? If they are the screwdriver slot type, buy a couple of new ones, gate valve type, drain down and replace these at the same time.

The screwdriver slot type will only leak when you turn them off :mad:

The valves are gate valves and externally at least look like they're in good nick - not that this is any indication of internal condition!

We're going to be swapping everything out in the summer anyway as we're putting a combi in - frees up a lot of space in the bathroom having no tanks and means I can finally have a bath in something longer than a 5' bath - I'm 6'4 and it's a bit tricky to say the least!

I totally agree about the valves but for now I'm hoping a simple pump change will be enough to get us through until the summer when it's all getting ripped out anyway. I'm under pressure to get the house up to a habitable temperature as it is, and I'm a dead man if it's not toasty and warm by tomorrow night!

Cheers,

Laurie

You should be ok with gate valve types as far as leaks are concerned, but whether the actually shut off is another thing :rolleyes: ;)

Sponsored Links
Techy, I think you are getting too 'techy' on this one and looking too deep.

I feel a simple pump change will cure his problems ;)

OP, what pump valves have you got isolating it? If they are the screwdriver slot type, buy a couple of new ones, gate valve type, drain down and replace these at the same time.

The screwdriver slot type will only leak when you turn them off :mad:

Lol - its all about thinking outside the box

Well a new pump nailed the problem and the boiler is running properly for the first time in ages. Amazed at just how quiet the Wilo pump I fitted is - practically silent. Anyway, we have warm radiators for the first time in 3 days and CH running better than it has in the 2 years I've lived here - and I'd just like to thank everyone for their help and advice.

Cheers,

Laurie
(considerably warmer)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back