Ideal Classic RS50 noisey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic RS50 that make a high pitch humming noise when the boiler is operating. The system produces heating and hot water without any problems.

The noise seems to coming from the mid to upper part of the boiler and not the pump of pipes.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The fan is at the top! Thats if your model does have a fan.

They can be expensive!

Needs a gas reg engineer to replace.

Best to wait until it stops. Make sure you have a working immersion heater in the meantime!

Tony

The RS classic has no fan, and its the ff and nf's with fans. To be sure, look at the exhaust terminal. 5" round equals fan flued and square equals no fan.
If yours is RS then the noise may be heat exch noise and to treat properly it needs to be looked at by an experienced boiler engineer to determine where the noise comes from which will involve removal of the outer case.

Sponsored Links
I'm not a trained gas fitter I have worked in the motor trade all my life. I'm OK with cars but wouldn't attempt to strip and rebuild a boiler.

The noise doesn't sound like a bearing noise, more like a whistling / howling sound.

Do you have any ideas on how much to get a gas fitter to diagnose/fix. eg call out, initial labour cost etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back