IDEAL E-Type RS - 35N boiler turning on intermittentently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an IDEAL E-Type RS - 35N boiler its been running perfectly fine for the past year and a half. This morning it started to play up.

The are a couple of symtoms to this problem.

1. When the timer is on constant and on Water it fires up the bolier and everything seems to be ok but within a few minutes the boiler goes off. Then some time later it comes back on a again and a few minutes later it goes off.

2. When the timer is swichted over to Heating and water it never seems to fire up.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi switched the timer off for about 10 minutes and switched the timer back on for both water and heating and heating on its on, they boiler started up. Could this be a preassure problem?

It seemed to fire up for both the hotwater and heating and heating on its own but only stayed on for about 5 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like circulating pump......turn stat to low setting & fire boiler (when cold) , when boiler stops fireing turn stat to max & see if it fires up.

Sounds like circulating pump......turn stat to low setting & fire boiler (when cold) , when boiler stops fireing turn stat to max & see if it fires up.

Hi it seems to be firing up but not staying on longer than 5 minutes. Ive turned the thermo stat to 1 and put the timer on constant, lets see how long it stays on for.

One side point, whats the best way of finding a qualified tradesmen to service one of these babies.

Turn hot water/heating to constant on programmer & turn room stat to max , unscrew black plastic air bleed from myson pump , lightly pull it forward & spin it , does it spin? , if not i would say pump................time to call a heating engineer.

Hi ive loosened the black plastic nut and managed to spin it without any problem, what else could it be?

I bet the pump is cream crackered,especially fitted facing upwards like that.
It may spin by hand but is there power to it? If 230v at pump and still not spinning then replace pump.If you are not capable of doing this work a heating engineer will ID and fix your fault with little trouble.

I bet the pump is cream crackered,especially fitted facing upwards like that.
It may spin by hand but is there power to it? If 230v at pump and still not spinning then replace pump.If you are not capable of doing this work a heating engineer will ID and fix your fault with little trouble.

Hi, what do you mean is there any power to it. when I spun it this moring it seems to spin freely but did feel like there was some momentum in it. How much would you expect to pay for fitting and parts for a pump?

Its dependant on time really.If those valves don't shut then the system may require a draindown or maybe a system bung.Either way pump about £70 plus labour? Certainly £150+.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back