Ideal Classic RS40 Gas Valve Button Seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had out gas turned off today due to local pipeline replacement, but when the National Grid engineer came around to turn everything back on, he couldn't get the boiler to light as the valve button won't move at all.

Looking at it since I got home from work, the button doesn't look right, and looks as if its melted slightly on the top edge.

Just wondering if it can be easily remedied, or if it needs a replacement part, what the ball park figure would be for a repair, living in Derbyshire.

Cheers!

IMAG0029.jpg

Sponsored Links
due to postion off a vavle in the picture you need to get out rgi to atleast service it

Is it me or is the gas valve off?? Looks like it's melted the surround I would get a rgi out shouldn't be getting that hot down there may be a seal leaking on the case, not a DIY job IMO

Sponsored Links
No problem. I know an ex-Corgi registered chap who is going to take a look at it tonight just to give an idea of what's wrong, then I'll get a proper rgi to do the work.

If the whole valve unit needs replacing what cost am I looking at labour wise? I know the unit itself is just over £100.

I would usually add an extra £30 to our diagnostic fee of £84 as there is a fair amount of work involved in replacing and setting up the gas valve.

An ex-corgi person is no longer gas registered and not insured to do gas work.

But then I would charge the lowest price for the gas valve, perhaps about £75.

Tony

The boiler [Ideal Elan?] is getting too hot at the bottom, as evidenced by the flaking and scorched paint. Please have the Honeywell gas valve replaced, and the boiler serviced and any further repairs done.

I would say that it is probably an Ideal Classic RS40 !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back