Squeaking Toilet valve in push-button toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- was wondering if anyone can help.

I live in a new-build flat with a push-button toilet. I know it is a torbeck valve, but am unsure of the pressure.

A short while ago the toilet started constantly filling, rising above the outlet pipe and then leaking through the nuts where it is attached to the wall. I tried adjusting the water level, but nothing worked. I consulted various manuals etc, and realised the best course of action was to replace the valve.

I bought a bottom feed, compact cistern replacement valve from Homebase for 13.49. It looks pretty much the same as the old one, though perhaps slightly smaller. It also has two extra components for a high or low pressure system, which our old valve did not have. It came fitted with the low pressure one.

Installed it, and shortly afterwards we started hearing strange noises. Firstly, when the water has finished filling there is a squealing sound, like there is air and water together trying to get through. More worringly though, minutes after we heard a loud groaning and creaking in the pipes. This would even occur if you just sat on the toilet. As a result we turned our water on and off when ever we needed to flush the toilet.

I thought it might be water hammer, so tried the remedy for that to no avail. Ended up uninstalling it and then reinstalling it. This seems to have done the job with the hammering sound, but not the squeak.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I completely replace it, and if so with which product?

Thank you in advance!

Karen

Sponsored Links
is your new flush suitable for high pressure water systems e.g. mains pressure??

Some toilets are fed from a big tank e.g. gravity and if you have inadvertanley bought a gravity rather than a main fed one you could be getting all sorts of funny noises!

If you turn your cold water tap on and the pressure is very good then I feel its fair to assume you have high pressure (the lads will have a go at me for making that assumption!). Anyway, I'd take the valve back out and install the little nozzle (that usually comes with it), that is suitable for high pressure. I think the squeeking or whatever, is due to either the high pressure pushing through the valve because the valve has a 'Low Pressure' nozzle on it, or.... it may be the valve is twisted slightly. This can cause the float to stick on the runners. When the water forces it to rise it can squeek against the plastic runners. I think however that if this is happening for quite a while after flushing then it is more likely to be that you have installed the valve with the 'Low Pressure' nozzle on a High Pressure system.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for advice. Going to try switching the pressure first and see if it works.
I am pretty sure we are mains fed- live in a block of eight flats on the top floor, and have a boiler and a main pipe that we can switch off.
The valve I bought did not specify if it was mains or gravity.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back