Ideal FF240 "clicking" noise for pilot

Firstly how can a fan for a 240FF ever cost just £50 ?

Secondly, DIYers are not recommended to open the combustion chamber .

Thirdly the forum rules do not permit us to advise on DIY repair involving combustion issues.

Its most likely to be not reliably sensing the presence of the flame.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Firstly how can a fan for a 240FF ever cost just £50 ?

Secondly, DIYers are not recommended to open the combustion chamber .

Thirdly the forum rules do not permit us to advise on DIY repair involving combustion issues.

Its most likely to be not reliably sensing the presence of the flame.

Tony

I just bought it from eBay. It was brand new and boxed so seemed OK to me.

I take your point and I'll have to find a pro... Just very nervous after my prior bad experiences :( I've yet to find a boiler engineer who doesn't blatantly lie - hence trying to repair things myself. There was no way I needed a whole new boiler just because the bearings in the fan had gone. He must have thought I was an idiot. :(

You giot a real bargain there.

But boiler engineers dont get bargains and we have to pay about £200 for a fan for that model!

Then customers blame us for over charging them because they have seen it on Ebay at a fraction of that price.

If you chose an engineer who did not want to repair boilers but just get the far bigger job of fitting a new boiler then I rather see you to blame for calling someone like that. Did they arrive on a horse?

I would never tell lies to a customer. Why should I?

Tony

I will call in a 'proper man' for this one, but I like to have an idea of what the problem is so I don't get ripped off for a fictitious problem or have the usual issue of a GSR person saying that I need a whole new boiler (as happened when the fan jammed - which I fixed myself for the cost of the £50 part).

You've already carried out an illegal repair, do you need this information so you can perform another?

Sponsored Links
There are no regulations covering work on your own boiler. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, cover professional workers only. If you are working on your own boiler in your own house, you are not subject to those regulations. The notable exception is if you're a landlord, in which case all work on the boiler needs to be carried out by a GSR professional. In fact the way the text reads, you don't even need to be GSR registered - you simply need to demonstrate that you're "competent". It just so happens that the industry standard way to demonstrate that you are competent is to become GSR registered.

But anyway, as I've said I'm going to get a GSR professional in, I merely wanted to check what sort of things might cause this issue so I don't have you blindly accept an expensive quote for a repair I might not need (which is what happened last time). Last time they tried to make me buy a whole new boiler for the sake of just a fan.

You've already carried out an illegal repair, do you need this information so you can perform another?

...and it would seem you did not read the text in the paragraph you quoted. Which is odd.

If you chose an engineer who did not want to repair boilers but just get the far bigger job of fitting a new boiler then I rather see you to blame for calling someone like that.

I feel that's a rather mean response. Why would I be to blame for someone else's unscrupulous business tactics? How was I to know they would do that? I had never used them before. It's very difficult to find reliable tradesmen I find.

There are no regulations covering work on your own boiler. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, cover professional workers only. If you are working on your own boiler in your own house, you are not subject to those regulations. The notable exception is if you're a landlord, in which case all work on the boiler needs to be carried out by a GSR professional. In fact the way the text reads, you don't even need to be GSR registered - you simply need to demonstrate that you're "competent". It just so happens that the industry standard way to demonstrate that you are competent is to become GSR registered

Shows how much you actually understand the regulation then doesn't it? Which by inference means you can't do your own gas work.

I do however agree. A fan for one of these does not require a new boiler.

I did read your post. If you want to put yourself or your household at risk, don't expect us to help you do it.
And I agree too, a new fan doesn't mean a new boiler - if you don't like what one engineer says, get another one in. Some parts are very expensive if they are NEW and genuine. Calling a local RGI and asking him his rates before he attends is a good way to start, especially if he charges a flat diagnosis fee. ;)

The site rules, which you are deemed to have read by posting here, very clearly state that we dont advise DIYers on gas related repairs.

So I dont see why you expect us to give you such advice, particularly when you have already admitted you have done this repair when you have not proved your competence.

I would usually charge a fixed fee to diagnose a fault and would fit a new part provided by the owner if he can get one cheaper than I can.

Tony

Ended up going around the houses with this one, my RGI replaced the ht leads at first to see if at solved the problem, which it didn't. He then concluded at it was the gas valve solenoid and replaced at a few days later. It was a bit trial and error as he did not want to replace something as expensive as the gas valve straight away. Total repair cost me £150 including parts and labour so was more than happy with that. Touch wood it has been ok for the last year.

I wouldn't try and do it yourself (if that was your plan) though as surely you life is wor more than £150!

Only one HT lead on this boiler.

So was the gas valve solenoid at fault?

Your description did not make that likely!

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes it was the gas valve solenoid that was at fault, as I mentioned the pilot was lighting and clicking on and off but the reason behind it turned out to be because the solenoid was not opening fully to let the gas through to the main burner.

Thanks for your help with all the replies at the time though

That was good of him to find just the coil to replace rather than the whole valve!

I am not sure why he wanted to replace the HT lead though. It could have been tested for continuity and the solenoid supply could have been tested for presence.

I expect that he is polite to you as well!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back