ideal he30 diverter valve problem...Help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal he30 which from research on here i think has a faulty diverter valve. the reason i am not certain is that the hot water works perfectly and it is the heating that is not great, from what i have read it is usually the other way around.
When the heating is turned on there is a repetitive knocking noise from the diverter valve area.
The heating/burner then turns on and off every few minutes regardless of whether the thermostat is on or off. each time the heating switches on or off the boiler knocks.

Does this sound like the diverter valve, the cartridge or the actuator head?
Or none of the above!?
thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
My first suspicion would be the cartridge seizing inside the div valve. The knocking would be from the powerhead which may also have been damaged.
Not a difficult thing to dismantle the valve and the head is simple to remove.
Once removed, check that the spindle of the valve pushes in and out smoothly.

The cartridge part is prone to jamming!

I suspect it has jammed in the HW position ( during the summer ? ) and the head is trying to operate and failing and that's what is making the clicking noise.

It could also be a faulty head but that's less likely.

You can remove the head by pushing the button and twisting if I remember correctly. The head may be able to rest quietly in the "activated" position when removed.

You can then see if the pin on the cartridge is moving at all. It is sometimes possible to get it to move by pushing/pulling it. Although removing it may be needed. I do have to say that I have had less success in removing and trying to clean them. Some break into pieces when trying to take them out.

So commercially replacement is the usual procedure if jammed.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back