IDEAL ICOS HE18 F L FAULT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Never done this before so a little nervous and ensure of the response i'll get but here we go,

I've read numerous blogs and troubleshoot guides and nothing has solved this query so fingers crossed someone out there can help me and my plumber get hot water and heat!!

We've got an Ideal ICOS HE18 which has developed the generic fault, FL.

My plumber has been round, replaced the PCB board, cleaned the condensate trap, replaced the electrode along with conducting a number of tests including gas pressure and so on and still can't get to the bottom of what the problem is.

He's banged it a few a few times and tried a few things of this website but still no resolution. He did mentioned that there's something like120v going into something instead of 240v but couldn't figure out why that was.

My plumbers pretty sound but i know already it's going to cost me a fortune but more importantly i just want hot water and heating back in my house.

If anyones got any questions or solutions please please message me or something.

Any advise or tips would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
is the earth connected? any water in blue tube goingto gas valve?
cheak 240v is going to spark genarator? 200vdc across blue and black on gas valve when ignition sequance starts. is it LF. OR LF ?

Does it sound like it fires up for a short period then cut out?

onlyfitidealboilers - thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

When the boiler turns on you can hear it trying to ignite if that make sense. Sort of a clicking noise three times tries it again after a min or two then give up and the screen reads FL...

Interms of everything else you said let me ring my plumber and ask him.

Thank you once again and i'll update you shortly..

onlyfitidealboilers - Just spoke to the plumber and he said there wasn't 240v going to the spark generator. He didn't check for water in blue tube going to gas valve and not sure about 200vdc across blue and black on gas valve when ignition sequence starts.

Again i've just tried turning on the boiler, starts up reads 'c' and the burner light is flashing, attempts to start up by making that three clicking sounds which is spaced out within 2 seconds of each other then the boiler keeps going for another minute, tries again, 3 clicking sound then following a minute after that just gives up and the screen reads F then L and repeats F then L while the Burner light is still flashing..

Any thoughts on this mate, is my plumber doing the right checks??

Thanks for this

Sponsored Links
if you want the boiler to ignite you need to make sure there is 240v at the blue an brown across the spark genarator if there is no voltage there cheak the wires for continuity & if thats ok then there is a problem with your new pcb. but very unlikely, bet the spark genarator is goosed or ignition electrode bent.

ask him to cheak for water in that tube & voltage at the places iv told you.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back