Ideal Icos HE18 Frost Stat Issue

should be fine then as the other pipewor, might be worthwhile changing it to an automatic one, but many succesfully work with just a gate valve set up properly inside the house will be protected by the hive, you just need to get the by-pass setting right

Thanks, will continue with the trial and error on that valve for now.

Really appreciate the assistance!

Sponsored Links
Start with the valve fully open, then gradually turn it down untill the boiler starts to kettle,then open up again 1/4 turn, just turn the frost stat up as high as it will go untill you get the balance then turn the frost stat back to the origional settings, I usually use 5 deg on frost stat and 22 deg on pipe stat, no actuall set settings just what I have had most success with

8BD857A7-394B-4D3E-AC20-210F13513E8A.jpeg
That won't protect the boiler (in the garage) very well....

OP If you had a 'real' bypass then current setup would be fine- the garage will tend to be colder than the house so pump only running through the bypass would do, added bonus you don't get disturbed by any rad warming noises.
Since it isn't a proper bypass you'd be better off sorting the control wiring- that gate valve will be reducing the differential pressure between flow and return (so your rads that are now slow to heat will be even slower), also boosting the return temperature (so your boiler may start derating to maintain the ideal flow/return temperature difference.
See what happens tonight- mind, it's warming up here- was -3 this afternoon, it's up to 7 now :)

Picture below shows my suggestion works like a charm.
Hall temperature prior to switch point was 12 degrees same as set temperature over night and weather was as in the picture above

94FB521C-3739-4928-A07E-67C2857B6BBE.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back