Ideal icos HE18 no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 2 year old Ideal ICOS HE18, which I've been having problems with ever since moving into my new home. We had various plumbers round and trying to sort out the pressure dropping and constant water leakage through the safety valve in the airing cupboard, which houses the immersion tank and expansion vessel. The latest saga is the newly appointed plumber has suggested the expansion vessel isn't large enough and at a result the 'air gap' is constantly being reduced to the point the safety valve is having to release the pressure from the system. They've ordered a new bigger expansion vessel, which was fitted the other day. We're now having problems with the radiators not working properly. I checked and bleed all the radiators and also checked the thermostat's and made sure the pin could move in and out. This didn't solve the problem, so I called the plumber out who drained the system and filled it back up again, and left saying all was ok. This evening I've went to bath my daughter and discovered we had no hot water. I 'advanced' the hot water and the boiler kicked into action, but 40 mins later I still didn't have any hot water. I checked the hot water pipe leading into the immersion tank and it's hot. I just don't understand why we don't have any hot water. I'm going to call out the plumber again tomorrow morning, but wondered if someone could tell me what might be happening as it would appear something very simple is very complicated. Not being a plumber I have to trust what the plumber is saying to me, but starting to think they know about as much as me....which is very worrying!?

Sponsored Links
The key to the expansion problem is to watch the pressure gauge. I have seen a new EXV fitted by British Gas where they did not bother to check and reset the charge pressure.

The cylinder not heating is likely to be a control or motor valve problem.

But without testing on site its not possible to be sure exactly what.

Tony

Don't pay him or stop payment until you get a warm house and a hot bath.

Everything worked before and doesn't now - who else has touched it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back