Ideal Icos ( Model HE12 ) boiler not working for CH or HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Our Ideal Icos boiler ( which is in a cupboard in the kitchen ) has stopped working with no pre warning.

It looks like it has no life at all? No fault lights appear, I have checked the fuse and this seems ok. We are able to get HW from the emersion heater from the boiler upstairs.

I have read through some forums and it seems the problem may lie with the PCB board ( which I believe seems to go quite alot on these models ) is it a case of buying a new PCB board for this model and just attaching the existing wires connecting into the original PCB board into the new PCB board?

Do you think this is correct diagnosis?

I can see it costs a large amount to get someone out to do this?

Many thanks for advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
Check the 4 way plug going into the top left hand on the PCB for 240v,
if its ok,its a fair bet the pcb's gone,also check the front of the pcb casing,just to the right of the middle,if theres a small slightly melted patch,its definately had it.
Replacement is just a matter of unplugging all the plugs,and swapping it over,make sure you change the pcb links one for one.

I would be testing the 5 pin plug first as a lot of icos heat only boilers were not fitted with permanent lives so if end switch was not making no power to boiler, after that test as previous poster said apart from if the boiler is a 30 or 36kw then you will have to put them in per the version 9 pcb and change user control to suit.

But TBH if this al sounds gobbledigook I would get someone in who knows what they are doing or a fixed price repair from Ideal

I would be testing the 5 pin plug first as a lot of icos heat only boilers were not fitted with permanent lives so if end switch was not making no power to boiler, after that test as previous poster said apart from if the boiler is a 30 or 36kw then you will have to put them in per the version 9 pcb and change user control to suit.

But TBH if this al sounds gobbledigook I would get someone in who knows what they are doing or a fixed price repair from Ideal

Fair point, if that was the case would it be that if there was no demand,there would be no display,even when the boiler was working ok?

I carry an Icos/Isar connector wired to a plug with L1/L2 linked to eliminate exactly that scenario.

Sponsored Links
I checked the user display control unit and theres is a electrical board with a small melted patch on it.

This is separate from the PCB ( black box )

Do you think its the PCB box or the user display control unit that needs replacing?

The boiler is less than 2 years old and Ideal want nothing to know apart from if we pay over £350 ! awful customer service if you ask me they should be repairing it for free.

Thanks for your help :0)

was this fitted on the warmfront scheme?
if so you get a 2 year guarantee

phone warmsure 0800 408 1437

also check the fuse in the pcb little black tag you can pull out
if thats okay ring sole trader and ask him for price that he can do it for
and then ask bg how much as they are anouyingly cheep at the mo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back