Ideal Isar combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had this boiler installed for 3 years now and after a few initial call outs in the first two months due to ignition problems, it has worked fine. We always felt it was a little noisy but in recent weeks it gives of a bit of a sonic boom when lighting. It's loud enough that next door came round to say they though someone had broken in. Any ideas what might cause this and how to resolve. The whole system has been quite noisy since it was installed so we had left it for a while as thought it was normal. One other problem (not sure if related) When the downstairs loo is flushed and has refilled, at the moment the water supply is shut off we get about 7 bangs from a pipe in the wall. What can cause this?

thanks in advance. I have a guy looking at the boiler today but he is waiting for a call back as says "the cylinder is cracked inside the boiler" and needs advice :(
Any ideas what this could mean and more importantly, is it safe as the boiler is located on the house wall of the attached garage just below my 2 year old's room .

And i thought a new boiler would last 20-30 years! :(

Sponsored Links
sounds like the spark electrodes are scaled up take them out ( when the boiler is turned off )and clean them off should fire up better without the sonic boom. the pipes dont sound to be clipped correctly. what cylinder hope your man said the heat exchanger or id be phoning someone else...

lmao

20 to 30 years you will be lucky no matter what boiler you have fitted

oh mercy

ok i would have settled for 15 ;)

I will update when he calls and lets me know whats going on.

Thanks for the above tip, maybe i should ring him and tell him - lol

Sponsored Links
nah let him figure it out its something he should look at if your paying him but the cylinder made me laugh. is the system pressure ok about 1.5 bar? what noise is the system making?? does it come from the radiators or pipework? if the HE as gone which i dont think will be the case i think there expensive and abit of a biatch to change

just got in, tested and still a bang when the ch is turned on. I will admit that it is not as loud but its still there. on testing if i fire up the ch, the burner light flashes for 15/20 seconds, i can hear the water rushing round the pipes and then bang, its lights and the burner light is solid. So the bang is coming from the boiler when it lights. The other banging, when the toilet finishes filling up didn't happen today. odd as it always happens!! typical eh
I then switched off the ch and ran the hot tap after a few minutes, the burner light went solid straight away and no bang. Turned off the tap and tried the ch again, same delay, same bang. Having run it for 15 mins now, the pressure is at 1.5.

no further mention of this cylinder and when my wife asked, he said all should be alright now. (as a precaution after reading about these boilers i have put it on contract with BGas today)

thanks for the posts

uhm not sure now and bedfordshire is abit of a trek from me been all the way up in yorkshire plus my horse n cart wouldnt make it that far :) hope bg sort it out best option with these boilers

thx anyway. Just noticed i have a new fan assembly, or at least i have the old one left in the garage!

Will get the bg boys out to check it over.

thanks again

spark gen,rubber seal top of turret and blocked sump,check these and you will find your answer if he's changed the ign electrode,as for the cylinder get rid of the clown fast

Also get an RGI to check the WP at the meter.

These are sensitive to low pressure and I've had this on a couple.

guys, advise please :(

since the boiler has been "serviced" i have had the ignition erro twice and had to reset to light and now my wife thinks she smelt gas from the flume. Have switched it off but can you say if 1, it is possible to smell gas from the flume and 2, if this is dangerous?

Boiler is the other side of the wall and just below where my 2 year old sleeps!

thanks for any advise................

u shouldnt be able to smell gas as it should go out of the flue. only when the boiler has failed to ignite and it purges itself. but u have dont the right thing by turning it off. u should call the national gas breakdowns to rule out a leak on your system. isolate at the control valve next to your meter

when you say it should go out the flue, that is where the smell of gas is coming from. so is that normal? It also seems to be generating more steam than it used to.

thanks

As said, the boiler is not igniting the gas if you smell it outside from the flue.

Go with idealnumber1 suggestions of the spark generator or maybe the ignition electrodes. Both common failure items on this boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back