ideal isar he 30 leaking overnight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,
new to forum but you people have been an absolute god send over the passed few weeks, you guys are great with info so decided to come and join, and you never know, now i have stripped and carried out numerous jobs thanks to you fellas, i may be able to pass on any information i have on these tricky little boilers although i would be quite happy if it just sat there in the background worked! with no problems.
to cut a long story short, boiler is an ideal isar he 30 (i know) fitted under the warmfront scheme about 3 or 4 years ago.
no probs really, apart from replacing the diverter valve once (was really noisy/clunking when it clicked in, but that cured it)
no probs with installation looks like its been done to a high standard.
it all started this xmas eve, woke up, boiler making funny noises, vibrating and leaking water, that's when you guys come! :D googled it, sounds like frozen condensate pipe, and you were right :D de frosted, insulated and took off trap and made sure all was clear, inspected sump, nice and clean.
boiler now worked again no funny noises, but no display and a slight dripper. on further googling found aav to be leaking running down onto electrics. fitted new aav and user panel. cured leak but still no display :( bit the bullet i bought a new pcb (new orange type) now display works :D but short lived as boiler now not working and coming up with L8 code (fan error) which i found unbelievable :eek: but tested out as per manual and all was fine so replaced the fan hurray!! boiler lights up and finally works. now the only fault i have is that during the day it's fine, clicks in clicks out, hot water everything no problem, but when i get up in the morning there is always a pool of water on the worktop. i now leave the bottom cover off and put some kitchen roll under, but not 1 splash during the day, but in a morning it's soaked! can't see where it's coming from i suspect central somewhere because the electrical input connecter (the black plastic multiplug) is wet.
any help would be gratefully received, the boiler all seems to be working fine and no fault codes or anything but as you fellas know all these problems seem to start from some kind of leak. thanks for listening

Sponsored Links
More advice we give is to call a BG fixed price repair when a main PCB is needed as thats usually cheaper and gives a guarantee.

It may be a mains water leak inside when the pressure goes up overnight.

To check that turn off the cold water inlet to boiler and open a hot tap overnight.

If its system water the pressure gauge would be going down.

Tony

thanks tony, had'nt thought of that, the gauge seems pretty stable and not dropping, but will try closing the cold water to it and open the hot tap at least that will eliminate the supply water.
as i speak now the paper is under it and i have been in all day, the heating is on cos it's blinking cold here and at least two of the kids have had showers and not a single drip (weird) might wait until tomorrow night before doing it, because i have just treated it to a new s trap and yet another diverter valve because it was starting to get noisy again, lovely and quet now, thanks for the help. ps (fell lucky with the pcb, new, orange type, £70 on ebay, and local)

A problem ive found on these if a few years old is the plate hex rubber washers leak,as they get brittle,might be worth checking for leaks in this area,also recheck the condense hose to trap connection,though would only leak with boiler running.

Sponsored Links
i'm not sure what you mean with the plate hex rubbers, do you mean on the bottom corner where the drain pipe comes out, there's also a retainig plate covering it with two screws in it, (nearly 10.30 bedtime, and no leak so far)

The plate heat exchanger is held on with just two screws and the seals between the four water connections are sealed by rubber washers.

If it were leaking from there then the screws may tighten up a little bit more but dont break them.

Tony

looked at the heat exchange and all seems dry around it, got up this morning about 7.30 and the kitchen roll that has been under all day (dry) is absolutley soaked. there seems to be signs off water on the shelf under the sump inspection plate, and it looks like it,s coming through the retaining bracket for the pcb, trickles down the pcb and drops onto the mains black multiplug. took the plate of this morning and all looks good on there. looked at aav and that seems all dry. without takeing the whole heat engine out it's hard to say where it is coming from.
but why should it only leak through the night? the heating is not off at night, but it is set to a low temp, because we have a young child in the house, so it does occasionally click in if it gets very cold.
can inspect the shelf anytime during the day and it's always dry! totally baffling

I don't think it's rain water, there's no signs anywhere of it getting in higher up or any tell tale marks, it seems to be so consistant too, 2 pieces of kitchen roll folded over and it's soaking wet, no more on the work top, but also no less, whatever the weathers like outside

cut off mains water and turned on hot tap overnight, still leaks overnight, deffinately condensate, the shelf is deffinately wet in the morning and the two grommets for the return pipe and wiring are both filled up as well,
have read somewhere about sumps corroding through is this a possibility? pressure is 2 bar warm, that's not too high is it?
water is clear but when you look with a pen light torch loads of rusty marks on the shelf, does that give anybody any clues where would you get rusty markings from, could it be a leaking heat engine? if it is i think could be going for a b g fixed price repair. any thoughts anybody?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back