Not my choice was in house when moved in 
Probably about 5years old 
With a draylon digistat rf3 thermostat 

Problem was 
Boiler failed to start before Xmas

1: had no control display and boiler wouldn't fire 
Found a drip from heat exchanger had corroded the purple link cable 
Have fixed that and display back on
2: boiler read 4bar pressure ! Seems odd I thought ! Well that was caused by a cowboy changing the needle back 2 bar so they could fill up system and give a faulse 2bar reading when actually 4 bar in system to allow them to escape long enough !!!!!!! 

I fixed both faults and all was fine 

However two days ago was awoken by a noise that sounds like the boiler is vibrating very loudly ! 

Examined some more found condensing trap clogged so cleaned boiler still was noisy and then noticed my wireless draylon digistat rf3 and Scr are playing up 
The Scr had red light 

So done the setup ! Learn mode right batts left batts flash etc and that came back on and boiler fires etc ! 

After a while I believe coms are lost and boiler seems to try to fire on it's own even though there is no call for heat 

Basically I'm trying to fathom if the prob lies with boiler or stat 

Last night at 1am the stat showed no demand for CH no flame and yet the boiler was trying to fire and loud vibration noise 
This-morning had no coms (red light on SCR) so again reprogrammed and got coms back
And boiler seems to operate Ok 

Is all a bit odd I don't understand why if the stat isn't calling for heat why the boiler is trying to fire ! Unless it's a side effect from the stat loosing coms 

Can anyone assist with some ideas please !! 

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The isar has a built in hot water preheat which will cause the boiler to fire periodically whether you have created a heating demand or not. do the rads heat when it fires at these odd times?

Martin

Hi

I belive so I think the boiler is firing and the stat connection is just another fault that's occurring !

It's just the noise it's like a very loud vibrating sound from the boiler then after about 30 secs of this the noise dies down and the boiler seems to be running ok

If I then adjust the temp up and down to get the CH to fire it seems to fire ok it's just if boiler is dormant for a while then fires it's makes this noise on first ignition ?

Hi

I belive so I think the boiler is firing and the stat connection is just another fault that's occurring !

It's just the noise it's like a very loud vibrating sound from the boiler then after about 30 secs of this the noise dies down and the boiler seems to be running ok

If I then adjust the temp up and down to get the CH to fire it seems to fire ok it's just if boiler is dormant for a while then fires it's makes this noise on first ignition ?

Sponsored Links
Little more info

It seems the boiler makes this noise when the the water pre heat comes on
As the noise happend today with no call from the stat so I can only gues that it's when the HW preheat comes in that's where the noise occurs

Also as above post today had noise and rads didn't heat up as I earlier thought they were !

So to clarify when CH called boiler seems to fire ok but when boiler is sitting idle and preheat comes in that's when I have the loud vibrating noise

??????? !

Does your condensate discharge into a waste pipe? If so check that its not blocked. As cleaning the trap will only shortly solve the problem if the main waste pipe is blocked up.

If not then it could most likely be gas related and you will need an RGI to check it over.

Yes it goes into a pipe that I belive is clear

Would this not cause a problem on every burn as seems the issue is only on the water pre heat burn that the boiler seems to do on it's own ?

Does it make the same noise when running the hot water?
Does the pressure gauge "bounce" when its making the noise?

hi all

in answer to above

no noise on hot water
and i don't think the pressure needle bounces when this happens

if it helps i found this on another forum it sounds exactly what in experiencing and was posted in november 2010

begin post from other forum ...............

"I wonder if anyone can help me out.

I`ve recently been servicing and repairing boilers installed through the warmfront scheme. As you are probably aware, I am coming across a lot of ideal iasrs!!!!

Any way, I attended a breakdown call stating the boiler was making lots of noise in the middle of the night! All I could go off was the customers description of the problem as the boiler was fine when I was on site. (short spells of what sounds like overheating )
As the heating was off in the night, the noise must have been present whilst operating its DHW pre heat cycle.

I couldn`t re create this noise, and couldn`t diagnose the fault.

The day after, a warm sure engineer attended and informed the customer that he has seen loads of this problem and that its down to a spreader in the main heat exchanger!

Has anyone seen or heard of this? I cant find any info any where?

Any help would be lovely"

this post hasn't been replied to as yet so i'm gonna post on other site so see if the guy had a solution !

ok another post with some more info !

boiler just started its noise 18:50 so had a quick dash to loft to look and sure enough i have the letter t on display which is hot water pre heat mode !

i then went and turned hot tap on while noise was happening and the boiler switches to d mode and noise goes away!

what i noticed then is the water isn't quickly hot so i'm guessing the preheat isn't actually igniting or burning and thus the noise ! as id expect the hot water to be hot quick if the boiler was pre heating as it should do !

so i guess the question now is WHY !!!!!!!!!!

There was a problem with spreaders in heat exchangers,but the boilers overheated very quickly whatever it was doing,and they did it from new.yours is 5 years old so thats not the problem.

Thanks for clonfirming that

So any ideas anyone on another cause for this

I've noticed that since this noise started and I've traced it to the DHW pre heat mode that the hot water is taking longer to come through hot

So I think the pre heat isn't working at all as hot water comes out really cold
For a good 30 secs before comming through hot and prior to this it was only 5-10 secs and water was hot !

Any ideas anyone ???????
Just need to know what may be occurring before calling in someone and can't take much more sleepless nights with the sound of a tractor starting up in the loft every few hours !

Thanks all for help so far !

Im assuming youve checked the pressure gauge under the boiler is about 1 - 1.5 bar with system cold?

Any ideas anyone !!!!!

Need some idea of what's causing this so I can get someone it to fix it and the noise is getting more frequent through the night it's like a huge family of wasps are having hourly party's in the loft !

Need sleep agh !!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back