Ideal logic external wiring for Tado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a logic esp1 30 and trying to connect a Tado smart thermostat to it but can’t work out if this boiler is potential free or switched live, had A look at the wiring diagrams and I think it is switched live but Tado support can take 2-3 days to reply, I wired it up as potential free into the boiler stat terminals as diagram A and CH com and CH no
68FD23FD-D25E-4641-8CE2-3609A532D87E.jpeg
but the boiler won’t fire for heating so asking if anyone on here can help before I do anything else
2719FDBD-3668-4D3B-83BD-E2F9B12F7A26.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The answer is in the diagram you posted.

Capture.JPG

One side of the room stat is connected to 230V L shown in red.

When the room stat calls for heat the same 230V L is applied through the room thermostat to the 'Room Stat / Timer' terminal, so it is 230V and not voltage free as you correctly figured.

Probably the easiest way is to connect it is to wire the two Room Stat / Timer terminals directly to CH COM and CH NO. Plus of course the 230V to N and L for its operating power. [One of the 'Room Stat / Timer' terminals will be a permanent L anyway and the other the switched live - unfortunately Ideal don't make it obvious which terminal is which] Do it this way and it doesn't matter which way around the terminals are connected. Do it as per diagram C and it does matter which of the two 'Room Stat / Timer' terminals are used.

Capture1.JPG

So effectively

Capture2.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, if I understand correctly I linked the live into CH COM and disconnected it on the wireless rec with no change tried swapping the CH COM and CH NO around to see if any change and nothing. Looks like I will need to get my meter onto it tomorrow (at my mothers) and test it, although just because it’s new doesn’t mean it works

Well gave up and plugged the salus receiver back in and it fired up when I switched this to manual, so reread the boiler instructions and it says to unplug the receiver and reconnect the cable that was plugged into it back into the loom which I did, no other connection , so don’t know what’s up with this as Tado says just remove the link and wire the CH COM and CH NO into this, still its working atm
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, if I understand correctly I linked the live into CH COM and disconnected it on the wireless rec with no change tried swapping the CH COM and CH NO around to see if any change and nothing. Looks like I will need to get my meter onto it tomorrow (at my mothers) and test it, although just because it’s new doesn’t mean it works
No, you didn't understand correctly. My reference to the wiring link was to explain how your boiler was controlled using 230V mains. My apologies for confusing you. My suggestion for the wiring was:

CH COM goes to one of the Room Stat / Timer terminals
CH NO goes to the other Room Stat / Timer terminal

Which is what the last diagram I posted shows and exactly what TADO have said.

Add of course the mains 230V supply to N & L

If your boiler has some inbuilt time control, you will of course need to set it to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will stop the TADO working. Although the Salus it replaces could have been the programmable version that doesn't need a separate timer.

No, you didn't understand correctly. My reference to the wiring link was to explain how your boiler was controlled using 230V mains. My apologies for confusing you. My suggestion for the wiring was:

CH COM goes to one of the Room Stat / Timer terminals
CH NO goes to the other Room Stat / Timer terminal

Which is what the last diagram I posted shows and exactly what TADO have said.

Add of course the mains 230V supply to N & L

If your boiler has some inbuilt time control, you will of course need to set it to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will stop the TADO working. Although the Salus it replaces could have been the programmable version that doesn't need a separate timer.
So at 5he moment that is how I have it wired with the salus wireless receiver set to constant and everything works as it should, my mistake was thinking if I took the salus receiver out and then linked the wires back into the loom that it used then it would work, will call ideal tomorrow to find out if the boiler came with a default switch/connection that I’m missing otherwise I will just keep the salus connected
Thanks for your help

If the Salus receiver is integral with the boiler it will be wired internally to the boiler wiring so currently needs to be set to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will interfere with the Tado.

I had assumed it was an external Salus model that had been wired to the Room Stat / Timer terminals and you had removed it inorder to install the Tado.

If the Salus receiver is integral with the boiler it will be wired internally to the boiler wiring so currently needs to be set to be permanently 'on' otherwise it will interfere with the Tado.

I had assumed it was an external Salus model that had been wired to the Room Stat / Timer terminals and you had removed it inorder to install the Tado.
No it’s on the front panel plugged into a connector on the loom, I thought as the boiler instructions show and the ideal videos that if I removed the Salus then I just connected the connector back into the loom. But heating won’t work that way
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back