Ideal Mexico 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Moved into our house back in May 2010 and it has a Ideal Mexico 2 boiler which i guess is as old as the renovation which was done, so around 1995.

As this boiler is getting on a bit, are they OK for spares and what are they like reliability wise?

I had a corgi engineer out to certify the system and he said it was fine, nothing to worry about and a good solid boiler. There are black soot marks around the flue exit (internally) but he said this is OK and expected over time.. I have a carbon monoxide detector sat in the same room as the boiler, less than a metre away and its never gone off. Corgi chap said this too was a sign everything was OK.

Any opinions appreciated... Oh and one other thing, the gas hob "power" changes when the boiler kicks in - i'm told this is due to a pipe being too narrow.. corgi chap didnt comment on this, I found out after. We have a 22mm pipe entering the house straight into boiler. Prior to boiler this 22mm tees off into a narrower pipe and goes through the building to kitchen - I guess it is about 15mm.

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
These are a very solid and reliable boiler.

Not so efficient though.

Dont block the flue or any air vents.

Tony

the gas hob "power" changes when the boiler kicks in - i'm told this is due to a pipe being too narrow.. corgi chap didnt comment on this, I found out after. We have a 22mm pipe entering the house straight into boiler. Prior to boiler this 22mm tees off into a narrower pipe and goes through the building to kitchen - I guess it is about 15mm.

Thanks
Mike

You might want to get this looked into. I've seen in several circumstances where the hobs burners are extinguished in the 'simmer' position when the boiler initially kicks in, only for unlit gas to pass after the boiler has fired.

Solid, reliable boiler - all spare parts still available.

Mr. W.

Gas depletion at the hob indicates incorrectly sized gas piping or.... Suggest you have it looked at in case your gas supply at the meter is not supplying the standard amount when your appliances are working.

Bit of an old inefficient boiler now, but a good workhorse, of it's time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info everyone, good to know its a decent boiler. Our gas bills have doubled since our last house which had a modern combi, but since then we have a wee nipper who has a bath every day, and this house larger too.

The corgi chap who certified the boiler said it was overpowered for the central heating system - generally we only need to keep it on 1-3 so I guess this is right. In the winter for one or two days we put it upto 5.

Don't mind a bit of inefficiency if the boiler lasts.

Cheers
Mike

Oh and regarding the gas fluctuating I did consider calling transco as the meter is noisy, it makes a squeeking noise, thought it might be related.

The new hob we had fitted has a safety cut-out so im not so worried about gas leakage if the flame goes out.. more concerned at keeping a nice constant heat under my steaks!!!

If the gas meter is noisy it could be the regulator (hissing noise) which is normal. If transco check it out it is their responsibility so you would not be charged. - peace of mind especially with having young children - don't rely on the hob cutting out!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back