ideal mexico super 2 rs 125

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have this boiler, was inspected last year and told to be working fine. My gas bills have been very high though, so considering a newer efficient boiler.

As its floor standing and seems a simple setup.? X2 water, x1 gas and then electric.

What ballpark cost would i be looking at to replace, its 36kw i believe. House is dormer bungalow approx 200sqm if that makes any difference. Gas safe chap last year said its too big for the house. Or the pipes, wife wasnt sure which!

Not interested in a combi, just another straightforward boiler. Entire ch system dates from 1994 and in otherwise great condition.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it is not broke don't fix it !!

As for cost's , its a question that is constantly asked on here with out seeing the job how would anyone know ? get some one local to give u a quote/price !

Sponsored Links
Understood, but was only looking for a ballpark.. would have thought all floor standing basic boilers would be similar. Sounds like 3k round about right anyway. Cheers.

Having never replaced a boiler before i guess i was wonfering what makes to go for too.. and capacity, is 36kw particularly good, or should i go bigger

hi mike, no sorry i live in liverpool. ! but that 3k is in and around what you will pay for a boiler swap of that kw input, pls note there are not many floor standing boilers around now and they are all condensing boilers.

Keep the boiler get a gs engineer out to service the boiler & range rate it down to the output of the house, it will probably out live any new condensing boiler.

I agree, few engineers bother to range rate boilers! That can make a big difference to gas input.

Some manufacturers even say their's cannot be range rated yet others with similar design do allow it.

A wall mounted boiler would be about £1500 if the boiler room has a suitable outside wall.

You could do a whole house heat loss calculation and see what size boiler is really needed. Probably less than 24 kW!

Tony

Some manufacturers even say their's cannot be range rated yet others with similar design do allow it.

Tony

Similar design?...............range rating appliances has nothing to do with 'similar design' & all to do with burner pressure/light back/flame impingement.

I think you will find that they are mostly more concerned about condensation inside the boiler.

Most of the older boilers are very tolerant of low burner pressures.

Of course the manufacturers expect the boiler is correctly selected for power output at installation.

Tony

So it sounds like i'd be better off keeping the old reliable simple workhorse and just making the house more efficient? Looking at the numbers it would take a while for a new boiler to pay for itself.

I have TRV's on all the radiators (except the loop one and the one in the downstairs bathroom) but the lagging is nonexistent and something i'm working on fixing. There is no thermostat in the living room and as its next to the boiler room I guess it would be easy and beneficial to fix one.

Maybe weather compensation too?

The boiler manages to heat 140 litres of water to 60c and keep the house warm and the dial is only on 1 ! Turning up to 6 I guess would melt the pipes... :)

I'll get it serviced before winter and see if the fitter can recommend anything re tuning it.

I think you will find that they are mostly more concerned about condensation inside the boiler.

Most of the older boilers are very tolerant of low burner pressures.

Tony

Well , that's a contradiction in itself. ;)

Decided to keep this boiler for now. Going to get a service done.

Just wondering.. not much info about these on the net, what commonly is the reason for their demise,.leaking? Or just 'fail'? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back