Ideal MINI C24 Hot water problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an Ideal Mini C24 Combi, about 5-6 years old and have a problem with the DHW going from hot-cold-hot-cold etc.

I have looked at the boiler whilst turning a hot tap on and it appears to fire up for a while and then turn itself off, only to turn back on again (repeat to fade!)

Any idea what may be causing this? Heating is working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
wow what a bargain :rolleyes:

it can be removed and cleaned for much less.

true enough ;) what do you find as the best cleaner for these? the only problem with that is the oring may need replacing an you can only buy them with a plate heat exchanger from ideal, ideal wont sell them on there own!

Sponsored Links
We charge about XXXXXXXXXXXXX in our local area for fitting a recon plate to include a service.

If you dont want to buy an Ideal part at an inflated price then dont forget you can always go to Biasi who made the boiler and order the "O" rings from there ( or in reality from any parts merchant ).

Tony

FX2 and boiling water always works for me, on both sides.
the orings are listed on parts centre, and I'm sure I could get them off a Biasi it they weren't

hrpc said they where in ideal gasket pack they wasn't tho, then ideal told me only come with the phx, tell someone one thing then do another :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies.

If the heat exchanger was cleaned would it just get blocked again? I'm thinking is it just better to get a new one now?

Thanks for all the replies.

If the heat exchanger was cleaned would it just get blocked again? I'm thinking is it just better to get a new one now?

I f you get it cleaned right it will be like new, as mickyg has said clean it with boiling water and kamco fx2

Cleaning can be done by DIYers but their lack of experience often means they are not cleaned as well as a professional would do.

But if there is dirt in your system, if that is not treated then it may well block up again.

Fitting a Magnaclean or similar is often done at the same time. However if its someone who has successfully cleaned their plate HE before then they could do it again as required and save the cost of the magnetic filter.

Tony

Right for diyer,you can use something like KILROCK descaler available from any decent diy store ,old grannies use to use it on their kettles

This is excellent stuff,after you have put it into the HE make sure to clean it out properly with boiling hot water,making sure to wear marigolds .Its not very friendly to skin!

after you have washed out all the chemical,try and make sure the water runs clean and give it vigorous shake to get out any of the last particles left inbetween the plates

This advice is provided as is and for gratis.

Your boiler will almost certainly have the primary side of the plate blocked with metal oxides.

That Kilrock is said to be for LIME scale.

I dont know what Kilrock contains, but a friend, who is an excellent electronics engineer, used something containing formic acid to treat an old Vaillant Sine 18 with a problem in the main heat exchanger for a lady we both know.

He failed and I had to send my engineer to treat it as I had trained him to do.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back