Ideal Mini C24 - "Lack of burner ignition"

Sponsored Links
They bloody better fix it - and I'm not paying a penny more than they agreed it would cost - regardless of how long the guy looks at it scratching him head or how many more parts they need.

Do NOT pay them any more. Its a 'fixed price repair', as Kev has said, they havent repaired it! BG offer the deal, they'll have to swallow the cost if it proves an awkward one.....

I've never known them (BG) to try and charge more than their fixed price for a "fixed price repair." Alledgedly some engineers will say they wont carry out an expensive repair, but any payment would be cancelled/refinded.

Sponsored Links
now nead for knit-pikking cev, my speling is normly prety godd.
an I don drinc

I really cannot guess what BG could have done wrong to damage the replacement gas valve AND the PCB.

This "loose wire" sounds a bit suspicious. All the wires are on connectors which are non reversible and can only go into the matching socket.

A fixed price repair is just that regardless of the competence of the engineer. Since they have actually damaged parts on the boiler then they cannot walk away without charging and leaving it more broken that before they came.

Tony

Basically what they told me was the Fixed price was based on the engineers assessment of how long the job would take...

Up to 30 mins = £69
30mins to 2 hrs = £189
Over 2 hrs = £349

I was informed that the engineer would arrive, diagnose the fault, and advise at this point which fixed price, and if i wanted to continue.

I queried the detail with the customer service dude on the phone and was told if i was told it would be the middle price (£189), but the job was completed in under 30mins, then i would pay the lower price
If the job however took more than 2 hrs i would still pay £189 as that was what had been agreed following fault diagnosis. I also confirmed that the time for the job did not include time to go away to get parts etc.
This was the main reason for me agreeing to the deal.
They also managed to talk me round to taking "Priority Response" for £3 per week (12month contract), which would guarantee me an engineer same or next day and discounted fixed prices repairs for future problems (Unable to utilse this until at least 7 days from starting) - the reason i was convinced is that after having politely declined this cover, I was informed I could get a "normal" engineer app for Mon afternoon(4th OCt), or a "Priority" engineer the following afternoon (Fri 1st Oct). I enquired re the 7 day wait, and was informed i could access the Priority app but would pay normal fixed price. For £36 over the year, and 4th week of no heating/hw i accepted.

I realise i'm starting to waffle now, but my point is this...

The engineer did not inform my partner (i was at work) which of the tiers the job was priced at, but left to go get parts (the first gas valve). Upon return i was home from work so we enquired as to the price level and was told "oh its def the middle one".

Job progressed as detailed before, and after 2nd call to Ideal, engineer said "oh this is another fault", but erm no, my fault was no heating/hot water, I did not have this, so he had not solved my fault.

He then decided to announce, " I'll need to go get parts, so obviously we're looking at the higher price now"

This was when i challenged him on my assurance that the price initially agreed would be the price (or less) paid by me.

After private discussion with my other half, the engineer was left reassembling the boiler, and then decided "ok if i come back on mon with new pcb and new gas valve, i can do that for the £189 price, but anything else will be more!"

Hmmmmmmmmmm! I stand by the fact that BG are due what was initially agreed, the middle price tier (or less) and not a penny more.

I decided against venting this frustration to their customer service today, but will be on the fone on Mon should he attempt to charge the higher price.

Aside from this, I am sorely tempted to decline the repair (and be charged nil, as confirmed by the engineer) - and then call them out as a "Priority Response" next week when I would get a discounted fixed price.

I realise this is off topic slightly, and that i should probably be grateful of paying only £349 given that the parts required are priced at around £150-£200 each, but I was assured of an arrangement, and know that BG being such a massive company will not be sunk by absorbing such costs which the job would actually be worth.

Anyone hasten to quote me what price this job would normally go for??

tell them to go take a running jump

YOU paid your money YOU takes your choice

kick em in the nuts you got a parts changer
ask for somebody else next visit :idea:

I would have charged about £221 to come and diagnose the fault as the gas valve and replace it.

If it was the ignition PCB then I would have charged about £182.

If I had damaged your boiler while repairing it then I would have charged my original repair cost as quoted. But I dont expect to damage boilers!

BG buy parts at a massive discount so dont take any notice of the inflated prices that you have quoted above.

Tony

Job progressed as detailed before, and after 2nd call to Ideal, engineer said "oh this is another fault", but erm no, my fault was no heating/hot water, I did not have this, so he had not solved my fault.

be careful with this. it doesn't matter what the final result is. if you have no heat/water due to 3 clear faults they can charge you three times per the T+C's. in reality that rarely happens as most engineers can't be arsed with the hassle.

also, not 100% but i'm pretty sure the price has to be set up on the first visit, after that the laptop won't let you change it. he would have to phone an office monkey to change it and few could be arsed with that either.

So the lesson is dont get family members or British Gas out to fix your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back