Ideal mini c24 not igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have power flushed a heating system. Boiler does not work (was not working prior to power flush).
When demand is on, pump starts, I can feel a short Puff of air from the flue. Everything then stops and cycle restarts. Very occasionally burner ignites for a few seconds then goes back to previous cycle.
Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It would help to get some help here if you'd add some relevant information, such as the make and model of the boiler, [edit: you did add boiler info at the top; d'oh] and whether or not you can hear the ignition sparking with your ear to the flue (FFS turn off the gas whilst doing this!). Does repeating this test with the gas off stop your 'little puff'?

what made you think power flushing a non working boiler would make it work ?
Maybe it was professor google again? :LOL:
Microbore system, was heavily sludged. I gathered it would need a flush any way so best start with that and see if it has a positive effect on the pump, if the issue is related to that. But mainly it was curiosity, that's how we all learn.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
It would help to get some help here if you'd add some relevant information, such as the make and model of the boiler, [edit: you did add boiler info at the top; d'oh] and whether or not you can hear the ignition sparking with your ear to the flue (FFS turn off the gas whilst doing this!). Does repeating this test with the gas off stop your 'little puff'?
Electrodes do not spark. Except only on the rare occasions when it ignites for a short period.

Microbore system, was heavily sludged.
Sorry to say that isn't recommended. Power flushing a sludged up microbore system can cause more problems than it fixes. It can easily cause blockages and restrictions due to the narrow pipework catching the crap that the high pressure flushing can dislodge, especially if it is using 4:1 manifolds.

Hopefully that isn't the case with yours.

From that reply I assume that you have not yet followed my advice to retry with the gas supply OFF. If you don't follow advice given in good faith then I can help you no more.
I meant the same thing happens with gas off, "little puff" is still there.

Sorry to say that isn't recommended. Power flushing a sludged up microbore system can cause more problems than it fixes. It can easily cause blockages and restrictions due to the narrow pipework catching the crap that the high pressure flushing can dislodge, especially if it is using 4:1 manifolds.

Hopefully that isn't the case with yours.
Interesting, how would you recommend cleaning these systems?

Run cleaner through the system for a period of time. Remove the rads and manually flush and then fill and flush fill and flush the pipework from end to end.

How thoroughly that gets is whether it is 10mm or 8mm. 10mm I might use mains water depending on how much debris is present in the system. 8mm only gets filled and flushed.

I've had to go in a pull up floors and replace 8mm pipework that was aggressively cleaned simply due to it getting blocked. Hate the stuff, it's a typical culprit for knackering pumps and the cause of really poor circulation and then numpties come along and throw oversized rads onto it that will never ever get warm. I always recommend it's replaced these days if at all possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back