Ideal Mini C24 not running - possible pump issue or airlock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler decided to stop working last night.

Is there Anyone that can offer some advice on this combi boiler, even better someone local that can do the job?!

The boiler won't do anything but there are no lockout lights.

The pump appears to run when there's demand but just gets hot, it's pretty noisy too.

It doesn't attempt to fire at all though.

Had a fiddle and have bled the system and also the pump, that made the pump quieter so there's definitely water in it. (I got a face full!) The pump does get quite hot.

Water doesn't appear to be circulating around the boiler, if it does it pushes out a pin that hits a micro switch telling all is well with the flow and the boiler starts. This isn't happening.

I've removed the micro switch so the pin is visible, when there is demand the pump makes a noise but the pin doesn't pop out like it should so this tells me there is no flow.

If I press the micro switch in myself the boiler fires into life but then makes kettle like banging noises, I think this is due to the heat exchanger being empty.

So I think it's either a duff pump, blocked heat exchanger or posibly an airlock - possibly caused by me not bleeding the radiators in time, they have been a bit noisy.

So, can anyone advise how I can remove the airlock if there is one?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It certainly sounds as if your pump is failed.

Usually due to dirt in the system.

The may be other blockages in your boiler too.

You need to say your postcode to see if anyone wants to offer to come to you.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I'm Located in Harlow, Essex - CM19.

Is there a way of removing the bleed screw on the pump to check the impellor spins without water spraying at my face at quite a rate?!

Water comes out at such a rate because your pump bearings are badly worn!

It needs changing!

We have an engineer here who may be fairly close. He may be able to come to you when he is out of hospital. Hopefully you don't need to use the stairs to get to your boiler?

Sponsored Links
That may explain it! It's had quite a hard life and I believe has run dry on numerous occasions when the old system was leaking. I've since had all of the pipework replaced but the damage was probably already done.

I'm in a ground floor flat so no issues with stairs. I do need it fixed asap though as I have no heating or hot water currently and don't have an electric shower, my shower is fed by the combi.

Be aware that there are several different pumps used on that model which are not interchangeable.

Tony

Thanks Tony, you've been very helpful.

Now, do I attempt to change it myself...?!

I've found pumps that appear to be correct for as little as £50 new.

Any idea how many hours labour I should be looking at paying for? Just want to make sure I'm not overcharged.

What do you look for to be able to say "appear to be correct" ?

So where are you seeing them? Link?

I suspect that may not be a genuine maker's spare part. But it may well fit!

It would probably take about an hour to fit.

But that's not the way that I would ever recommend anyone to deal with boiler repairs! Suppose the boiler does not work with the new pump fitted?

The normal way is to call and engineer and PAY him to diagnose the faults and then let him obtain and fit any parts needed.

It is probably very dirty and just changing the pump, even if that did get it working, would not solve the underlying problem.

Tony

"The normal way is to call and engineer and PAY him to diagnose the faults and then let him obtain and fit any parts needed"

That's probably a fair point, I was just trying to avoid a huge mark up on the parts.

A plumber was due to pop by last night, said he would be over in 20 mins, I get a call an hour later to say he had broken down!

Anyone sensible would just charge you more labour if you denied him an element of his profit.

But not all make any significant mark up on spares prices. I don't for example.

But many would wish to get the genuine manufacturers parts which are probably closer to £150.

But you have already muddied the situation by saying you can buy the pump for £50.

In the real world its £50 + £10 Vat and + £7 carriage ! That's £67 !!! Don't you realise what it really costs? And that is not for the genuine maker's part either!

Also if you insist on supplying the part then the engineer will have no obligation if it fails within any warranty period and will charge you again to fit a replacement.

But its very likely that a new pump will fail again due to the dirt that damaged the last one.

Trying to save your money by skimping can sometimes end up with higher costs in the end.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back