Ideal Mini Combi Boiler Squealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i run the hot water i am getting a high pitched squealing noise from the boiler. It doesn't seem to be doing it on the central heating just the domestic hot water.
The boiler is an Ideal Mini and has been installed for about 6 yrs.

I would really appreciate any advice on what this problem could be.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

If it doesn't work is it a case of removing the heat exchanger and replacing it with a new one or can it be de-scaled?

Thanks again

Went to get some sentinel x200 but screwfix didn't have any. I did manage to get some stuff from Wickes, central heating cleanser (rapid dose), i got an adaptor to put it in through the radiator.

Now the sentinel stuff says you can leave it in for ever. But the Wickes stuff says to leave in for a minumum of two hours. Will i be ok to leave it in for a week then drain and re-fill the system?

Surely its pretty much the same stuff as the Sentinel stuff anyway?

The boiler is an Ideal Mini C28 btw.

Sponsored Links
It might be a scaled main heat exchanger in which case X200 might improve it.

A simple test is to turn off the gas supply at the yellow tap under the boiler and check that the noise stops within a second of the flame going out.

There is another cause which can produce squeeling when just the hot water is flowing without the boiler actually being working.

Tony

It might be a scaled main heat exchanger in which case X200 might improve it.

A simple test is to turn off the gas supply at the yellow tap under the boiler and check that the noise stops within a second of the flame going out.

There is another cause which can produce squeeling when just the hot water is flowing without the boiler actually being working.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I have tried what you have said and once the gas has gone out and the water is still running the noise is still there just the same as with the gas on.

It also only makes the sound when using the upstairs hot water.

Any other suggestions????

Cheers again

In that case its NOT scaled!

Its odd that the noise is only from hot taps upstairs.

Try running the downstairs tap and see if you can get the noise by varying the flow rate.

Its either the pipework somehow causing it but the boiler cause is a damaged rubber ring in the flow restrictor. However to access that the gas valve needs to be removed so that neans its a job for a registered gas engineer.

Tony

I removed the DHW heat exchanger today and de-scaled it. Just to eliminate it from my enquiries.

Put it back and the squealing is still there. Looks like i will have to get someone out.

Any idea roughly how much i could be looking at for someone to remove the gas valve and replace the magnetic flow switch and filter??

Just a ball park figure would be good. Off on hols next week so it will have to wait til after that now.

Unless you have a very high water supply pressure then a simple solution is just to remove the thin rubber ring in the flow restrictor part of the magnetic shuttle unit.

Unfortunately there is quite a lot of work and a potentially problem because that part is often screwed in far too tight and can be very difficult to unscrew.

We would charge about £136 in London but that would include a service.

Tony

As far as i can see the magnetic flow switch and filter screw into the end of the return manifold. But it i can't get to it because of the gas valves close proximity. If i remove the manifold itself then replace the flow switch/filter surely i don't need a gas fitter? I am an Electrician by trade and could do this myself if there was no gas involved.

Yes, you can do that yourself !

Its quite involved though and you will need plenty of space on the right hand side.

You have to start by removing the bypass pipe at the back and then the plate HE.

There is a large screw underneath which can also be quite tight. You need the right size screwdriver.

As the mag shuttle unit can be in so tight a hex ( not 12 ) socket is best and assuming you dont have a percussion driver you might be best tapping the driver bar with a hammer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back