Ideal RD1 Boiler stopped working please help !!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

No hot water and house running on electrc fans. 8-(

I have an Ideal 3100 Rd1 and LED light 3 is flashing when it powers on. The manual says sensor fault so reading other posts (and my own from 9 months ago) I replaced the sensor harness again. However this time it hasn't worked and the light still flashes!!

I've measured the resistances on the thermistor and they would seem to be about right. Is there anything else I can do? Maybe replace the circuit board? But then if I fork out £200 and that doesn't work its throwing good after bad?

Should I get a gassafe person to look at it but would that also be wasting money if he just says I need a new boiler?

Any advice gratefully received :( :(

Sponsored Links
Ok, in case anyone as daft as I has the same problem, there is a reset button on the right side of the boiler which I think is pressed after the temperature of the boiler got too high. So as soon as I pressed this button (it isn't that obvious as a button but more a protusion) all was good.

Maybe I should be worried as to why this overheat thermostat triggered but at least we've got heating for the moment. I turned down a little the adjustable stat on the front panel but don't know if that will help.

Overheating is usually caused by a lack of pump flow or sludge in the system.

Need to check the flow and return temperatures when running.

Should also get a gas eng to service and correctly set the gas parameters.

Tony

Many thanks for your reply Tony. I have read many of your posts with useful (and occasionally some less useful but sometimes amusing) posts from yourself and am happy you replied to one of my posts!

About 18 month ago I did pay for a local gas safe engineer to service the boiler which he did. But he did make a remark along the lines of "...to be honest there isn't much to do with this boiler...." and also he said it doesn't need servicing annually "..every 2 years would be ok...". For reasons I won't bore people with here, I have every reason to think that engineer is professional and competent.

Obviously I'm not sure what you mean about the gas parameters but that is something I wouldn't mess with but would assume said engineer would have looked at.

You are certainly right that there is a lot of sludge in the system and also I have turned the grundfos pump down from 3 to 2 to reduce noise but that was also a year or so ago.

Still, I don't understand why the normal thermostat wouldn't have kicked in before the overheat tripped ?

Sponsored Links
Still, I don't understand why the normal thermostat wouldn't have kicked in before the overheat tripped ?
It may be that the main stat is failing
Simple SE on/off boiler, based on the original Classic. Shouldn't be to hard to fix.

I would never assume that a gas eng has done something!

The boiler power input can be adjusted and part of a proper service is to check that and adjust if necessary or desireable.

To say anything more we need to know the flow and return temperatures and also that the flow is indeed the flow pipe!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back