Ideal boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have a reoccuring problem with an Ideal HE C32 boiler. Works ok for about 3 months the starts with a lockout problem. It has 3 LEDs which flash an error code. I have the manual. It flashes error code 8 - CONDENSATE BLOCKAGE. The recuperator fills with condensate to sensor level but how the drain pipe is designed i can't stop this. I have tested the sensor which reads ok but have also replaced anyway. Checked wiring to PCB. All ok. There is a main PCB and a small jumper PCB which the wires from the sensor go to. Could these be my problem. They are availibe seperatley or is it just the condensate in the recuperator causing the fault? There isn't a blockage but it does collect water. Confused! Is this a common problem??

Sponsored Links
I assume this is a Mini HE C32?

When you say there isn't a blockage, do you mean in the boiler, or have you checked all the condensate drain from the boiler to the drain termination point?

I assume this is a Mini HE C32?

When you say there isn't a blockage, do you mean in the boiler, or have you checked all the condensate drain from the boiler to the drain termination point?

Its a Ideal Excel HE C32.

If i pour water down the condensate drain pipe at the boiler it comes out the drain outside fine. Also blown down the pipe. All seems ok. I have noticed the pipe from the recuperator is routed wrong creating a slight down and up u bend collection water. I rerouted the pipe as the picture in the service manual and created now a down flow in the pipe. Its working ok for now. Fingers crossed its that but it has done this before and plays up again after about 3 months.

Sponsored Links
I would think that Excels are all still in warranty? or am I confusing them with the Esprit?

Or have I lost track of the years - call Ideal out.

I worry about boilers that are still being designed with recuperators.... Lazy design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back