ideal response 100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got an ideal combi boiler that is misfiring. when the ch is on it stays on permanently until boiler is shut off at mains then other times the boiler will not ignite at all and keeps trying to fire but no joy. also the pressure keeps needing to get topped up at a rate of once a day no leak anywhere. does the expansion vessel need re charging? any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I suspect your boiler needs a service to cure the ignition probs (possibly electrodes need replacing)
If you're losing water there must be a leak of some description, could even be heat exchanger leaking and drying out as it's heated.

cheers i no there is no leak on system but cud be possibly inside it. will have a nose around 2moz inside

Sponsored Links
will have a nose around 2moz inside
DON'T
I've seen these things explode because of an unwitting diyer "having a look".

The sad truth is probably that your boiler's finished.
You're losing pressure because the heat exchanger has corroded through, and the water evaporates and goes out of the flue. Eventually the electrodes get wet and they won't fire.
It would then be beyond economic repair. You have 3 options;
Get a new boiler. Responses are pretty bad at the best of times.
Call Ideal
Call Brit Gas
for the last 2, ask about their fixed price repair schemes. Heat exchangers have gone in and out of availability. If you're lucky, one of them might still be replacing hexs.
Expect to pay about £200 - £250 unless there's an offer on, you're in the wrong postcode area, or some other lame excuse!

sorry didnt make myself clear in opening post i am an installer for bg but ant got a clue about breakdowns or fault finding. its a mates boiler went around today gave it a good clean and ignition probs are now fine.

sorry didnt make myself clear in opening post i am an installer for bg but ant got a clue about breakdowns or fault finding. its a mates boiler went around today gave it a good clean and ignition probs are now fine.

In that case you should register to post trade enquiries in the Combustion Chamber section of this site.

Send you registration details to [email protected]

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back