Ideal Response 120, low pressure and cowboys

The first person that called to fill your system was either short of work, just down the street from you or passing by to attend another call. I cannot see how anyone can charge £25.00 and still be in business. I wonder if he is a handyman (having said that, I have come across some handymen who can turn out a better job than so called tradesmen)

Pressure cannot drop below 0. It will get to zero and that is it.

Second person that called charges you £85 to check out the system and pressurize the system to required point. He is also aware that you do not have a pipe connected to the PRV, hence the pot under the boiler. He leaves the pot there so water does not discharge internally. So he is clued up on boiler operation. But he fails when it comes to putting things back as he found them and pushing for a replacement boiler. Charge may be a little excessive but depends how long he was on site.

To find a leak on a heating system is like finding a needle in a haystack- very difficult. Sometimes it is a case of looking for the residue instead of wetness. Elevating the pressure to maximum is quite acceptable, even necessary as the system may be subjected to 3bar pressure. To find a leak on a sealed system that has to be topped up every fortnight is border line case, six months- one has to have black magic in his tool box.

If the boiler has not leaked from the PRV, why is a replacement EV sought?

Sponsored Links
Exactly as DP says.
No evidence you need a pressure/Expansion vessel from what you've said.
Did the guy pump it up (with air)? they need that every 3 years or so.

If you DO need a new one, they're more than Tony's £60:

£147.385 (Excluding VAT) !

An external one would be a lot less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back