Ideal Response 120... leaking pressure vessel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I hope someone can give me some much needed advice

We have a Ideal Respose 120, the whole system is about 5 years old in a renovated house. 2 weeks ago i noticed a small leak from the right hand side of the bolier. I called a corgi guy who said £85+vat to fix over the phone, but when he got here, he changed it to 200... I wasnt there so the missus paid the call out charge and said we would let him know...

I didnt find this too good with all the cowboys you hear of, so called British gas and subscribed to there 12months contract and initial fix(260). An engineer came around showed me problem but no solution and we were declined the 12 mth contract....

Reason - The expansion vessel is leaking. New one required. But, its in an awkward place and the only way to remove it (as per manufacturer instruction) is thru the top.. But its too close to the ceiling so the whole bolier unit will have to come off. BG wont install a external tank as its not a "fix"

What shall i do? New boiler - seems expensive esp. as it works fine?
External expansion vessel - is this messy or a genuine long term fix??
Have the whole boiler removed off the wall to get to the press. vessel?? A days work, parts, half the kitchen cupboards have to come down...?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
If it's leaking it will have to be replaced, even if you have an external one fitted. It might be possible to blank off the connection to the old one, but I can't see it from here so I can't tell.

What clearance do you have at the right hand side? it is possible to remove them from either top or side.

A 15mm plug will blank the boiler connection and an external 9 litre vessel can be fitted, a last resort though.

I dont think side clearance was the issue, its the way the back plate is designed and has a lip around the sides - hence the instructions on the engineers laptop saying removal of the pressure vessel is only possible via the top. Because of the ceiling, the only way to replace the PV is take the whole boiler/flue off the wall - a big job

Hence it may be more economical to install a external PV.... Would this be a good long term solution?? How much approx would it cost to blank off the internal PV and install a new external PV??

Sponsored Links
Oilman, Do you have to blank off the internal PV?

I would just tee off the pipework and connect the new PV - no problem.

sterose said:
Oilman, Do you have to blank off the internal PV?

I would just tee off the pipework and connect the new PV - no problem.

Whats the difference between blanking off and teeing off??

Do you have to blank off the internal PV?

If you leave it, how do know what condition it's in at any time in the future? It is a stagnant pool of water, and so a good place for bacteria.

Cheeky I can definetly assure you that the expansion vessel can be removed from the right hand side of the boiler, the side panel will come off as will the top securing lugs. I have changed plenty of them on the Response 120 this way.

BDL said:
Cheeky I can definetly assure you that the expansion vessel can be removed from the right hand side of the boiler, the side panel will come off as will the top securing lugs. I have changed plenty of them on the Response 120 this way.

Really?? :D The BG engineer did show me and it looked tight with the lip at the back....

Looks like its just half of the kitchen cupboards will have to come down then. :LOL: :LOL:

Do you know anyone in the Northampton area??

Yes, Earl Spencer :LOL:, but I guess that's not what you wanted :oops:

Give the office a call and get them to book a call in, we cover most areas and I believe we have the exp. vessels in stock.
If I remember rightly you need about 150mm clearance on the right side of the boiler, they def. come out the side.
Office hours 08:00-22:30.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back