Ideal Standard toilet not refilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. This forum recently helped me replace a lock for the first time, now I'm hoping to turn my hand to a bit of plumbing. The joys of buying your first house!

The toilet flushes fine, but frequently fails to fill up again. If I fiddle about with the part circled in the photo it'll fill up again. It seems to be getting stuck after the flush, is it easy to detach so I can try giving it a clean? Or does the whole flush system need replacing? Thanks

Attachments

• C39F6C14-A5D2-47C4-950F-5AB70C545056.jpeg
    C39F6C14-A5D2-47C4-950F-5AB70C545056.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 94
Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s not filling up, or is it a delayed fill as some Ideal Standards are designed this way

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of that before. So it only tops up the cistern when it needs to, rather than after every flush?

Sponsored Links
Yes it's definitely the fill valve (I now know what it's called, thanks!) I just did a couple of flushes until it wouldn't flush any more, and it didn't refill.

Does the whole valve need to be replaced, or can I take out the part I've circled and clean/replace it?

I hadn't heard of that before. So it only tops up the cistern when it needs to, rather than after every flush?
No, it fills after every flush, but some have a slight delay, iirc it’s only about 3 seconds

No, it fills after every flush, but some have a slight delay, iirc it’s only about 3 seconds
Ah OK gotcha. Yes the downstairs loo has that short delay, but the one I have the problem with sometimes doesn't fill up at all

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So I've fixed it following advice from a neighbour......I've put a 2p piece on the fill valve which seems to be just enough weight. It has been filling up without fail for the past week. Just a temporary fix for now but it has done the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back