ideas for a shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of planning a new shed and have pretty much sorted out the flooring and sides (dimensions will be 4 x 3 m) , but am having a problem devising a good roof for it. I want an apex roof, but am a bit wary of going the boards and felt way. The shed will be positioned where there are strong wnds, lots of sun and inevitably lots of rain. I feel that with all the hassle and potential for leaks, a felt roof will give me grief. Besides, I'm a bit of a novice and don't want to attempt something too complicated (I'm ok with ideas, just not technically gifted :D .)

The options I have are:

1) polycarbonate
2) metal box profile (with a ridge on the apex)
3) corrugated sheets coated woth bitumin)
4) tarpaulin :(

I can get a pretty good deal on the metal box profile, only problem is not sure how I'd cut it. Also, I am guessing it will make a right racket when it's rained on and I'm inside.

any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have these tiles effect sheeting on my summerhouse/workshop and they will cut it to the length you need.

Scroll down to > TILES ON A SHEET

i refelted mine a couple of years ago, its easy, so long as you remeber to statr at the bottom and work up from each side, the last bit goes over the top of the apex covering what is now the start of the felt.

and use plenty of short big head galvanised nails.

although masona's looks nicer

Tiles on a sheet - look like a fancier version of the box metal profile I've been looking at. That too is thin steel coated with plastic and is available in a few colours. I think a special ridge can be put on the apex to cover it. It's just a flat sheet without the tile effect. Yours looks nicer, but I'm not too flush with funds and the box is cheaper and I can collect it from nearby. ONly thing is it's available in long lengths and I'll have to cut it. Hopefully sheet metal cutters can do a reasonable job. I remember once having to cut corrugated sheets with a sheet cutter ....bloody nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Have you got a jigsaw? Metal blade should be fine for roof sheets.

Are you going to board underneath? Mine's a single layer of shed felt on osb. but I'm soon going to add some corrugated sheets on top of this, as it's under a tree and will be easier to get the bird sh** off of pvc sheeting.
:mad:

Yes I have a jigsaw, but thought as how the sheets are wavey or boxy, it wouldn't be able to cope. I expect it will vibrate a lot more than a rigid bit of wood.

I probbly will board underneath, as I can get some insulation in aswell.
Was also thinking of incorporating a few clear sheets, to let extra light in. Have some spare polycarbonate lying around and trying to figure out how I can use it!

as it's under a tree and will be easier to get the bird sh** off of pvc sheeting.
;)
Same here. One of the main reasons, along with never having to replace it AND less fiddly thatn bitumen/felt.

Masona,
what's it like inside when it rains? Do the tiles (I pressume they are coated steel) make a lot of noise. I recall an old corrugated roof that used to drive me crazy in the rain, like some kind of torture. Have you boarded and sound-proofed/insulated to reduce this effect?

I use 18mm sheet of plywoods on top of the roof rafters then roofing felts with the tiles effect metal sheeting on top and underneath I have boarded the ceiling so cannot hear the rain as I do spend most of my evening out there, must be the hot tub that does it :LOL:

To give some idea what the metal sheet look like on my Summerhouse

very nice :D No wonder you spend every evening in it!

are the end finishes on the roof (I think they are called barge boards - they're the right angle edges on either side of the roofing) absolutely necessary. Seeing as how you have clad them, what are they for. An extra measure?

Also, other than the log cabin look, are there any advantages to using log lap rather than shiplap. Most shedders say shiplap is best, but I like the look of yours. Was it pressure treated?

seneca said:
are the end finishes on the roof (I think they are called barge boards - they're the right angle edges on either side of the roofing) absolutely necessary. Seeing as how you have clad them, what are they for. An extra measure?
You don't have to as there's many way of doing it, you could use lead flashing or cement onto the undercloat etc, I put the log cladding on for a better appearance and on the ground level you cannot see the metal flashing.
Also, other than the log cabin look, are there any advantages to using log lap rather than shiplap. Most shedders say shiplap is best, but I like the look of yours.
25x150%20PTG%20log%20lap.jpg

I prefer the appearance of log cladding as with shiplap tend to looks flat and also I found the log cladding, the rain water run of the bottom better as it act like drip bar as where the shiplap doesn't so could trap water etc
19x150%20rebated%20shiplap.jpg

Was it pressure treated?
No, I couldn't find any local supplier for treated wood but however it's treated with plenty of Tung Oil

Here my finish project, added another 2 outbuilding, I got carried away ;)

masona6.jpg

outstanding :D :D :D :D Do they have individual addresses? Which one houses the battered old mower and the bag of hardened cement?

You have indeed set the bar high. I think some alterations in my plans are called for. Time for a 4th draft :oops:

He just cut the wheels off when they parked up a few years ago :LOL: . ;)

I shall move it again when the council tax inspector come round :LOL: :cry: :cry: :cry:

can't make out what you used for the apex. Doesn't look like a wide metal ridge, as used with box profile. Is there something different for the tile effect metal sheet? Do they have their own range of flashings etc? Oh, and love the colour scheme. Are the tiles terracota? Not sure, but don't think there are many colours to choose from. The log lap has come up lovely. Did you buy them pressure treated, or did they have to be sent away to be treated? What was the stain you used? Sorry about the questions, but I am going to nick... I mean pay hommage to your design. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back