Ideas for bracing a garden fence...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this fence across 2 gardens that I have complete control over (so there's no need to liaise with anyone about what I'm thinking of doing)...

fence.jpg

You can see that it's got a little bow in it, and there is a slight lean to the right, that is not so apparent from the photo, about half way down... this is due to some very strong winds that can often shoot from left to right across this garden.

The fence is quite sturdy, quite high and double-paled. Wind does seem to go through, but obviously it's struggling a little bit, especially as the high winds are quite frequent around here.

Before waiting for it to blow down, or doing something more extreme (and expensive) now, I thought a good idea might be to try and brace it.

I was thinking 2 or 3 wooden braces placed on the right side of the fence could be nicely hidden by those big green plants and give the fence a bit of help in the wind.

Does that sound like a smart idea?

I'd been looking at the ToolStation catalogue, and I thought that some metal spikes like items 12179 or 68568 might be good for this...

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=12179

http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=68568

...as they could be driven into the ground at an angle.

I think the braces could be placed at an angle that is less than 45 degrees, so they are more unobtrusive, but also give the fence some long-term support.

Or should I be looking towards cementing the braces into the ground?

Or is there another option that I'm unaware of?

Or should I bite the bullet and do some more remedial work (maybe looking at the posts in the ground and making sure they're correct / deep enough) now?

I didn't put the fence in, or commission it. It was here when I bought the property, so I don't know if it's been done to the right depth or anything.

Are there angled metal braces that I can attach to the fence, so that the wooden braces can just 'slot in'?

Any ideas / guidance appreciated as always.

Sponsored Links
The fence is gowing over because it's been poorly done, is on the way out or the bush is pushing it over in the wind. Bracing will only be temporary until one or more of the above is addressed.

The wind goes from left to right... so the bushes are on the other side. Nothing but wind is pushing it over and it's strong wind.

Agreed the bushes aren't helping although saying that I've come across fences that were only still standing because they'd been tied to bushes , hedges and trees. Actually to digress I did recently use steel strapping to secure some fences on a small holding to some trees , a temporary affair as replacing all the posts would have been too pricey in one go.
Back to your problem , how about a sort of "buttress " at 90* to the fence made of sturdy trellis? Two buttresses with something like a rose I between so the whole thing looks planned rather than a cost saving repair.

Sponsored Links
Maybe. A well placed buttress coming into the garden on the right side of the fence could act as a support for the fence and also a garden 'separator' of some kind.

Costs might be going up, though, on that idea.

I was thinking that the angled wooden bracing on the right side of the fence and going into the ground, at something sharper than a 45 degree angle (so they don't stick out too much), would not be unsightly because they would be hidden by those bushes that go all the way along the fence on the right (and they stick out quite some way).

I guess I more wanted to understand what would be the best 'footing' for them... those post anchors or cement / concrete... or another idea entirely, which - to be fair - the buttress idea is.

Or
Is there a shed in the garden ? Move that over against the fence and screw the fence to it . Costs are pretty much zero.
For your braces idea I'd be tempted to fix one either side and probably use concrete or postcrete to act as an anchor.

The reason I'd suggested the concrete is principally the angle of the brace. Digging a vertical hole for a post and ramming fill around it rather than concrete is easy enough ( did one of my own last weekend) but an angled hole is a harder proposition and you'll end up with a bigger hole so filling with concrete gives you a dirty great lump of weight for the fence to pull against.

Just get a bit of 3x2, 3x3 or whatever you have to hand. Short piece and a long piece.

Cut a point on the short piece, and chap it into the ground a couple foot out from the fence (on r/h side)

The longer piece is then cut to size as your brace between the top of the fence and the ground in front of your new post. Ideally cut slightly too long, so it is wedged in place.
Knock in a couple of nails to make sure nothing moves.

This can be hidden by planting something next to it

Part of the fence did come down in the recent wind, so I had the 3" by 3" posts taken out and replaced with 4" by 4" 8' long posts sunk to a depth of 2' and surrounded by Postcrete.

As the fellas said... "it's about all you can do apart from building a wall"... I hope so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back