Ideas needed

M

marsaday

View media item 30957
In the above pic you can see my new attic roof is very close to the chimney breast on the right side.

I cannot get plasterboard into the narrowest section. Fitting the BP yesterday in the high winds also showed i have not got any sort of seal at this roof junction.

So i really want to get into the party wal to do some sealing/fit the wall plaster board correctly. I see my only option is to remove the top course of bricks starting about at the purlin level and working downwards.

I can then do my Pb'ing and sealing and then relay the bricks. Does this sound ok? Any potential problems ?

Sponsored Links
your going to be working on the party wall, the party wall act comes in to force. you must inform your neighbour in writing and give a months notice. your also going to be opening one of the flues if you start removing bricks from said photo down from the perlin. what sort of fire uses this flue? dont remove bricks in the party wall near the perlin either! your ok with the bricks on the flue, but you dont want to be dropping any down the flue and blocking it. and your going to have to make sure you seal the flue again afterwards! if gas is being used in this flue or a coal fire, then you will have to make a very good job of this or you could be causing catastrophic problems.

I can't understand what you are trying to do.

Are you talking about the gap between the arch and the ceiling or the party wall, or between the party wall and ceiling?

And what is this "BP" fitted in the high winds and what has it got to do with the internal plasterboarding?

Are you really going to leave that tiny small dirt and dust trap gap between the arch and ceiling - why dont you just infill it and board down the to top of the arch?

thanks for replies.

party wall act covered as converting the attic so neighbours informed last yr.

bp = plaster board (my mistake)

i am talking about the gap under the roof PB, so yes that small gap is to be visible and is the cause of my problem.

if i board up to the edge of the chimney, the other side will look stupid as there is plenty of room that side and i will be making some shelves sitting into the chimney curve. so i really want to try and get my board to the back of the party wall. i am going to remove the top course of brick and should be ableto do all the work that way

Sponsored Links
I could not understand the relevance of mentioning fitting BP or even PB in high winds

Anyway, I would cut some plasterboard to the profile of the recess and squirt a load of expanding foam in to fill whatever needs to be filled and then shove the plasterboard in as far back as you want - but then you have the problem of plastering and decorating

Personally, I'd have the face of the board sitting 10-20mm back from the brick like it was meant to be like that, rather than looking like some awkward hard to fill gap

I might be tempted to to try and make a mould from chicken wife and use paper mache to make the profile to fill the gaps.

You could then cut out a profile from plasterboard as said & glue the plaster board to the paper mache mould.

You could then plaster over this and it should look really nice when finished.

It might sound a bit crazy but paper mache sets pretty hard when it dries and using chicken wife should give you the flexibility to bend into the required shape.

I have seen wire profiles in some big diy centers for archways and stuff which you plaster over - Its worth a try if nothing else works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back