neighbour chimney removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have a problem, but just want to know what to check for.....

Semi with a brick central chimney, two pots.
In the attic, you can see a rough finish brickwork chimney stack that has a bend in it.
The upstairs bedroom has a Chimney breast but never had a fireplace,
downstairs has a breast and fireplace,

My new neighbour is removing both the ground floor and 1st floor chimney breasts and will have a steel instead to hold up what's left on his side. No change to the roof apart from he may add a cowl.

Should I be looking for anything on my side to check or is it so unlikely that anything will go wrong that there's no point?

I accidentally managed to knock a brick out of the party wall a while back when adding a socket, and there is a cavity between us.

ta

Sponsored Links
did you neighbour tell you all this or did he write you?

guess you understand your futureoptions for any plans with your chimney breast could be cut down esp in the loft because loft dividin walls were often single brick. for the rest below the loft itshouldnt affect you.

are there only a total of two pots on the shared stack?
the bedroom fireplace could have been blocked up.best to openit an sweep ssweep the flue. the gf opening could also be swept.

He knocked and introduced himself and his family- mentioned the chimney breast at the same time

There has only ever been the livingroom fire which goes to an individual pot on the roof. The bedroom breast is just a route

I have a gas fire in my fireplace

have you lived there since it was built?how old is the house?
is the bedroom c/breast very narrow?
why not post a photo of the stack or roof terminal?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plumbers area would know more but it mightmig wise on both your and their parts to have your fire checked to make sure no leakage of combustion products into their flue. If there is it might end up going behind their plasterboard and under their upstairs floor or whatever.

Should I be looking for anything on my side to check
You should be checking that this work is going through building control, and you should be expecting a Party Wall notice to which you need to dispute and instruct surveyors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back