Ideas on bedding plants or shrubs?

As for horse muck

Lots of people use wood shaving bedding now. It is absorbent of urine and does not stink like straw bedding. It is cleaner and easier to handle and you can rake it out as a mulch. I find it quite attractive, like shredded bark, but free. The worms will take it down for you, no need to dig it in. Within a year it will be mostly gone. I used to lay it 100mm deep. Weeds will not grow in it because the surface is very dry, but you can pull it back to plant through it. It is quite clean to walk on, not muddy.

Once weathered, it has a faint horsey smell which I rather like.

It also includes useful pieces of baler twine, handy in the garden.

Sponsored Links
V helpful and constructive. I’m 63 and only now reading up on annuals, biennials hardy perennials etc. Brain already hurting.

Thanks

Horse muck needs to be well rotted - not the fresh / green stuff. The muck I have used looks very much like the compost you can buy from the garden centres, etc. I have dug that straight in using the double dig method

Sponsored Links
Some of my thoughts for plants:

Evergreen honeysuckle for the fence
Hosta
Geum
Bergenia (elephants ears - evergreen to cover concrete edges)
I like pinks, heuchera, dicentra and lupins

Cheers. One of my continuing challenges is knowing which category these fall into, timing as regards planting and flowering, cutting back etc.

Thanks anyway.

H again

Are many/any of those plants suitable for planting now? Also seeds, seedlings, plants etc?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back