ideas to tile bathroom...over old tiles, onto plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
we're in the process of renovating our first home and the bathroom is turning into a tricky one...

it's got very old plaster in there, and the walls aren't even, particularly the wall where we want to move the bathtub to...

so... three options to correct this:

1) tile straight over the old tiles and hope they a)stick, b)we use enough paste to get the walls straight(ish)

2) rip out the old tiles, plaster and get some fresh plasterboard against the studding and tile straight onto this?

3) as above but plaster/skim over the skirting board before we tile over?

which would be best? in terms of a)ease, b) cost, c) speed/time

i'm leaning toward option 2 but i'm not sure if there are any major no-no's with this in terms of what would happen a few years down the line...

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok, i'll answer your questions and also add another option!

1. Dont bother doing this, it'll end up a time consuming job and building up adhesive is a pain. It will also restrict your choice of tiles to the small sizes and if the plaster behind isn't great, then you are hanging a lot of weight on it.

2. Yes, this works well. Plasterboard is a great surface to tile onto (see below)

3. Guessing you mean skim over the plasterboard? dont, its a waste of time\money. skim is actually a weaker surface to tile onto. your better of with option 2

4 (new one). This is really a variation of 2. In your wet areas use a cement backer board instead of plasterboard. basically p/board falls apart if water gets to it, and it happens a lot - waterproof grout doesn't stop water passing through it, it just doesn't fall to bits when wet. Near your bath\shower either use plasterboard and tank it (paint on compound - will cost you around £40-£50) or use a cement backer board. then tile straight onto either of these.

2 (or 4 ideally) will give you a good, long lasting installation and a better finish. Plasterboarding is much easier than tiling over tiles!

thanks for taking the time to reply

i've been looking on the interwebs and asking around and it seems like the type of board to go for would be something like aquaboard?

and what is 'tanking' exactly? would this go onto the plasterboard almost as a 'seal'?

off to search...

Sponsored Links
yep aqua board, no more ply, wedi etc.

tanking comes in 2 forms, liquid and membrane. liquid is easier for diy (IMO). it comes in a kit which you paint on. and yes it makes the plasterboard waterproof from the front

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back