tiling options for bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm going to be retiling my bathroom and could do with a bit of advice. Currently got 200 x 200 possibly ceramic tiles. Want to replace them with 600 x 400, 12mm travertine ones.

I thinking I can't just tile over the top of the current tiles due to the extra weight. So if i remove the old tiles I'm thinking i'll be left with slighty knackered plasterboard. Can i tile straight onto this? Will it take the weight?

I've looked into tile backer board and wonder can this be screwed straight onto the old plasterboard? I'm fairly sure it will have been dot and dabbed onto masonry so I won't have a stud to fix into.

What would you do?

Cheers,
Oly

Sponsored Links
Well fixed plasterboard has a weight limit of 32kg per m2. 12mm Travertine + adhesive will probably be over this.

You could overboard the plasterboard with tile backer boards. Make sure it's well fixed though.

Some tile backers (eg 12.5mm Marmox) can be dot and dabbed and then mechanically fixed through the dabs. Some like Hardie are supposed to go onto a continuous bed and not D&D.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back