Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
just after some advice with ideas on what to do with this. The plan is to get it done professionally as I haven't got the time plus it's easier to pay someone while I do my own days graft.
I'm looking for approx cost if anyone has any idea plus ideas of what to do with it. Gravel boards & posts or brick it up? Don't want to use wood or sleepers really as doesn't last.
Some pics;

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
What I'm really after doing is whatever goes back up to retain it I want it an extra 2-3ft higher as the bank is a pain in the ass to mow and is a complete waste of land.
Any ideas appreciated

Sponsored Links
Keep it simply moi says.

Have a look for Gabion baskets; it's not even rocket science for the labourers to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 175
Gabions are a quick and effective way to build a wall. One draw back is that rain water can drain through the stones and may bring some of the earth through with it.

If you decide of a wall of brick or blocks then it will need deep foundations and / or ties butresses to prevent the wall toppling. If the wall is curved towards the high ground the topplling effect is greatly reduced and less foundation / buttressing is need along the line of the wall. Only the ends will need strong foundations . The same principle as is used in dams where the wall is curved towards the water.

rain water can drain through the stones and may bring some of the earth through with it.

I see your point, but a rushed job where weatherproof tarp is not used between the Gabions and retaining soil as a simple barrier, will definitely result in minor future issues.

Gabions are ideal in the sense that ..

You don't need to break the bank to get the work done.
It will outlast the house structure, and any standard brick wall with a deep foundation.
You'll never see any movement in the structure, let alone hairline cracks.
You can always build on, or reduce without the need to call anyone down.
O! And you don't even need to buy the stones to put in them; people are giving broken stone away for free on Gumtree! :) ( and free soil too!)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back