Levelling garden - what to do by the fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’ve levelled my garden by creating a small retaining wall between an upper and lower level - see pic. I will need to dig down about 20 cm from the current ground level by the wall on the lower section in order to level it. I’m then planning to gravel the bottom area up to the fence but I’m guessing I will need to install some edge restraints, especially on the area where I’ve dug down in order to stop the earth falling away and to also keep the gravel from migrating etc.

Any ideas of a good way of doing this? I’m planning on building a pizza oven (see image) which will have rendered blocks so that will provide some restraint. Maybe using sleepers would be an idea? That would also provide and raised bed around the fence.

Any suggestions ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 7245BCD5-3DDD-47C4-ADA5-E256D2CFD1C5.jpeg
    7245BCD5-3DDD-47C4-ADA5-E256D2CFD1C5.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
FOR 200MM i would use rock faced gravel boards with 3ft of post in ground, depending on what you are doing with raised area.

FOR 200MM i would use rock faced gravel boards with 3ft of post in ground, depending on what you are doing with raised area.
Yes I think I will just get some gravel boards. Most of the gap will be behind the pizza oven anyway.

Sponsored Links
There are lots of free options for 3D software:
sketchup
CarMetal
FreeCAD
OpenSCAD
SweetHome3D
BRL-CAD

and some use Blender, but that does not have a setting for dimensions of anything.
Some easier to drive than others.

Blender is great for visualising something but you soon realise the limitations of it not having proper tools for actual design.

I used small sleepers to allow graduation of front garden. It’s on a corner where side street is around 50cm higher than lowest point on front lawn .
You've shown pictures before of all that gravel around the ornamental trees you've planted and i wonder if you'd ever consider a Japanese-style rock garden around the area, to add some interest?

You've shown pictures before of all that gravel around the ornamental trees you've planted and i wonder if you'd ever consider a Japanese-style rock garden around the area, to add some interest?
I sold the property .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back