Identification of timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am a surveying student currently doing a project on building defects. I found a timber member suffering from a beetle infestation in a roof structure of a property around 200 years old (although i think the structure was added around 70 years ago).

To cut a long story short this infested member looks to be a different type of wood to the rest of the roof structure and i need to know if it is a hardwood or a softwood as this enables me to diagnose which beetle variety is in it.

I only have photos in my hard drive , would anybody allow me to email them a couple of shots and see what they think ? Or its possibvle i could get them hosted on a site ?

Any help would be very greatley appreciated!

James

Sponsored Links
Hi James

By what I can make out by the staining of the timber from the iron nails and by the timber decay and what I can see of the grain I would say it is soft wood and given the age Red Deal is a possibility. This is the best I can do with just looking at photos so don’t hold me to it.

If the timber was a hardwood like oak you would have dark grey staining around the area of the nails due to the acid in the oak and damp conditions plus you would see shakes in the timber.

I hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks very much for the advice guys , i'll go with softwood i think as it makes the report much simpler.

Really appreciate the advice,

thanks again,

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back