Identify where drain goes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a drain at the side of my hose that I want to know if it’s connected to sewer or soak away. Is there a way to check this?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Dye test would be a good start, put dye in a bucket of water and tip it down the drain, observe if it arrives at a downstream manhole.

Also depends what else your planning to discharge into it, a rainwater drain may connect to a surface water drainage system, so you wont be able to discharge waste water into it.

Photos pls.

This is the drain in question. I’m sure we only have combined drainage here. 1 inspection chamber which is on the other side of the house to this

EBF9CBFF-31E4-4032-9BDA-47E00CAF799C.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The pipe in question is further forwards towards main sewer then manhole so can’t try dye test unless I had a camera down it at the same time

If you launch a bucket of water down you should hear it from the manhole.

Then, if it does join the sewer system, there "should" be a manhole at that junction.
Unless it’s been covered by previous owners, I only can see 1 manhole on our land. Our last house didn’t have any

Last edited:
Depends if it'll go around the bend of the trap. I'm not familiar with all the models on the market, so there might be something that will.

I wouldn’t put mine around a gully but there are small ones for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back