Identifying a piece of kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help me to identify the piece of kit in the photo - next door has attached to our party wall - and it's noisy - but I've not idea what it is. Thanks a lot. G

Attachments

• Laundry.JPG
    Laundry.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 98
Sponsored Links
Noise will not be coming from the consumer unit, nor from the hatpegs or the ironing board.

Noise might be coming from the pipes, and is very likely to come from the washing machine.

Here are some examples of consumer units to help you recognise them. Old people call them fuseboxes

1665918067609.png

They may need a water hammer arrestor to stop the thud from pipes?
You can get some that fit to washing machine

Thanks for your help. It's something that can be switched off and on - unfortunately for me the optimum time for neighbour is 1130 pm and it then judders all night through my place - it's not a washing machine which would only run for an hour or so. Thanks though. G

Sponsored Links
Have a look for an overflow pipe, possibly coming out under the eaves or behind the boiler. Does it drip?

Water pressure is higher at night when it is not being used.

The source might be in your house.

Describe the noise please.

The boiler is not on the shared wall - overflow is out front - it's not dripping. Noise is a loud hum it goes up and down with intense bursts, sounds like a motor - vibrates all through my place. The room you see is under my flat - but when first cranks up it is very loud on our shared wall other side is their kitchen - that dies down a bit but the rumble goes on. There is a pipe on the flat roof of neighbours flat - some kind of tall vent - perhaps it's air filtration - something like that? She recently refurbished but won't say what it is - believe me I've asked. Thanks so much.

Could it be an air source heat pump?

Does the neighbour use a gas boiler?

Modern tumble dryers with heat pump also run for very long periods. You will hear the washing machine spinning earlier.

Yes there is a gas boiler it's not on my wall. I don't know what is a heat pump? Tumble dryer - I don't know - would that run all night? These vent covers are dotted around her place. Please note I only have this info because recently put it on market for renting out. I haven't broken in :)

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
Is your neighbour not troubled by the noise. Perhaps envoironmentle health dept at your local council can help get it stopped if she will not communicate with you.

I have an idea that heat pump dryers can run for hours, but I don't use one.

Thank you very much for all of your help. I will keep complaining - Council route could be last resort but might be necessary.

I have an idea that heat pump dryers can run for hours, but I don't use one.
We have a condenser dryer (i.e. a heat pump dryer) and I can confirm that they do run for hours - ours has a full cycle time of just over 3 hours, but it often runs for less. The only thing you can hear is the drum turning, a low pitch hum punctuated by a sort of click where the join in the belt goes over the edge of the drum every second or so

Last edited by a moderator:
JAK, is yours a Grundig? Black glass door with silver trim and a silver programme knob at top centre?
If so, we have the same model and I've sometimes thought about having a look at what the clicking is.
You've just saved me the bother. LOL

Ours is a Bosch. The previous condenser dryer was a Siemens. They both click(ed), although the Bosch is more noticeable. I think it may just be the join in the drive belt, which is thicker and less flexible than the rest if the (flat) belt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back